Charles Daly 12ga O/U made in Belgium

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Karl, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Karl

Karl New Member

I have a Charles Daly 12ga O/U shotgun with a solid rib and single trigger. This has been in storage for at least 40 years. It's from my father's estate and I need to identify it so I can assess an honest price and show what grade or model it is. Is it a $500 gun or a $3000 gun? I can't find any marking on the gun to tell the model. Local gunsmiths have not been helpful. I think it is pre-war. CD website indicates they don't have records that far back. Your thoughts please.

Attached Files:

2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

How about $1,800?

It apears to be a Superior side by side. They and their more elaborate delux models were discontinued in 1933. Yours is the base model, and still a very desirable high quality shotgun. Charles Daly was one of a partnership , Schoverling, Daly,& Gales...They were importers of high grade european firearms. The Daly name was chosen to be put on the guns they imported because it had an apealing sound, and would likely influence potential buyers. Your looks to be in excellent condition. It has Belgium proofs, and could well have been manufactured by the Newman Co., one of the many suppliers they used.

Hope this helps, Kirk
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Karl,

Your OVER UNDER (cann't see or read sometimes...) is a Commander O/U. Circa 1939. It's value is a bit less than for the side by side mentioned above. Maybe $1,200 or perhaps a bit more. The single trigger adds 10% to the value. Sorry about my first post.:p:eek::p

regards, Kirk
  4. Karl

Karl New Member

What about the gun indicates that it is a Commander? How do I prove that to a potential buyer?
    Karl
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Karl,

Pre War O/U shotguns limits the choices. The only pre war offering was one gun in several grades. Yours is color case hardened with nice but very simple engraving, and the wood, again while nice is not what I would term "fancy" in any way. The single trigger is the only option on this shotgun. The higher grade guns were the Commander 200 ( so marked), The Empire grade, and the Diamond grade was the highest. Yours is in 12 ga, and all other gauges command a premium, as the 12 ga is the most common. If you want proof, I suggest you gain the knowledge by reading...a book, sorry not everthing is on the internet. In fact, the internet is very limited on info for old guns IMO anyway. You might start with "the blue book of gun values", a yearly value guide. And I suspect there are other works, dealing specifically with the Daly marked fire arms. Gun shows are a good place to look and talk to folks who collect their firearms. Books are often there as well. Good luck.

Kirk
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:) Read? A book? About guns? Wow, what a radical ideal! What will you gun nuts come up with next? :)
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009