Charles Daly problem.

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by eagle eye, Dec 27, 2003.

1. eagle eye

eagle eye New Member

I'm new here and need some advise. I traded for a Charles Daly in new condition. Today I took it out to get used to it. After about 20 rounds the fireing pin stayed forward and the fireing pin stop fell out when the slide cycled. After takeing it home and giving it a good cleaning, it seems to be working fine. In your opinon do I have a serious problem or was it maybe just bad dirty.
  2. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

WELCOME EAGLE EYE

Could have been the firing spring was dirty and caused the firing pin to stick , I would keep a eye on it ,if it does it again replace the pin ,spring and stop ,but the stop really shouldn’t have fell out ,someone might have filed on it a bit to much already

I would also consider getting a new spring set if you think it has been fired a lot
  3. eagle eye

eagle eye New Member

Thanks for the advise. The gun is supposed to only have about 500 rds. shot through it. But you know how that is.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The firing pin must have been dry and dirty.

If the problem happens again, replace the firing pin and firing pin spring.

Oh, and welcome to TFF. :)
  5. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Hello eagle eye and Welcome. [​IMG]

You won't find any better advise than what Gpostal & Shooter45 has given.
    And I'll personally vouch for Shooter45 :p
  6. eagle eye

eagle eye New Member

I took the fireing pin and spring out for a better inspection late last night. The spring looked as though it had never been clean. Lots of build-up, but the pin didn't seem to have any problems. The pin stop does seem to have a loose fit though. I will probably go ahead and replace all three since reliability is a must for CCW.

Thank you for the sound advice.
  7. gunrunnerjohn

gunrunnerjohn New Member

Another possibility is that the firing pin channel either was dirty or has burrs, that could also cause the FP to stick forward. It's take a good long look at the slide before putting new parts in. :)
  8. eagle eye

eagle eye New Member

Thanks for the idea gunrunnerjohn. I had'nt thought of that, but after looking can't find any burrs.

Sorry, I don't have any old pistols. I'm down to just to sidearms at the moment. Charles Daly 45 and Ruger sp101 357.