Charter Arms

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by phlmorgan, Jan 5, 2007.

1. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

Has anyone heard of Charter Arms. I recently seen an add for thier revolvers in a magazine.

Any good? junk?

Thanks,
  2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

The name has been around for 30 years or more. The original Charter Arms went bankrupt and was bought out by Charco, which was bought out by Charter 2000 which is now being made by MKS- the makers of Hi Points.

The original ones were decent. They were light but pretty strong. I have an original Bulldog with a 3 inch barrel chambered in .44 spc. The trigger isn't even close to being on par with a S&W but you can't expect that. It does go bang everytime and has shot some fairly nice groups. At 19oz. unloaded it's easy to carry and conceals well.

People claim that the newer stuff is hit and miss. I'd be leery about buying one sight unseen, like over the Internet.

I'm very curious to see how MKS will do with this line of guns. I'm not really expecting a huge jump in quality...
  3. The older Charter guns were decent weapons, Phl, but the more recent ones are a POS. I made the mistake of buying one a couple of years ago (a .38 snubbie) that failed to fire at least one out of five, sometimes more. I sent it back to Charter for repair and when I got it back, the bloody cylinder would not stay on the rod and it still misfired! I finally gave up and filed it away under the "I got screwed" category. If you want an expensive door stop, buy a Charter. Otherwise, save your pennies and buy a quality firearm.
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1 on the older Charter Arms revolvers. I have a .357 Bulldog from the early 1980's and it is a decent, reliable gun. Adjustable sights and a comfortable grip.
  5. stetson

stetson New Member

+2 on the older charter arms I have one in 44spl.Works great!