cheap 22's

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by oscarmayer, Jul 27, 2010.

1. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

a few weeks back i bought a heritage rough rider in 22 and this past weekend i bought a phoenix arms hp22. the heritage so far has had over 1000 rounds through it without any issues at all , the gun still seems tight and there is no signs of premature wear it also came with a 22 mag cylinder and i'm a little reluctant to shoot it as of yet. not sure if a 150 dollar handgun can stand a steady diet of 22 mag. now as for the phoenix arms. it came with a spare "target barrel" and spare magazine i was able to get it for 165 out the door. so far i've run only 100 rounds through it . the first magazine full i had 3 stove pipes/jams, i thought ok it's junk. but i continued shooting and didn't have any other failures. has anyone else had any experiences with the phoenix hp22 ?
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I havent at all with the Phoenix hp .22, and only had a friend bring one of the
    heritage rough rider's over to shoot. I shot it several times with the .22lr and didnt on the .22 mag. I'm used to the Ruger single six and a bit spoiled, but the first thing I noticed about the Heritage was the feel of the .22lr cylinder, the machining of it.
    Just seemed a bit "rough"? But like I said, the single six has me spoiled.
    And as far as shooting, it was "there".
  3. group17

group17 New Member

I bought my Phoenix 22a range kit used and figured for $140 if it turned out to be junk no great loss. I have had no issues with it at all. It has been a great little acurate plinker. The only thing I didn't like was the mag safety which I disabled in 5 min. I have been feeding it bulk wally world remington with out a hicup. I have over 500 rounds through it. Fits in your pocket nicely with the short mag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

so far this thing seems like a bargin , and yes the magazine safety has to go , i've removed the grip panel and noticed it would be easy to snip the tab off that blocks the magzine release button
  5. group17

group17 New Member

That's all it took.

While at it give the feed ramp a buff. Works for all my guns.
  6. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I bought the short barrel version and had so much more fun with it than expected, so I ordered the longer barrel. Not a bad little plinker for the money, which is all I expected from it. I have had a couple of failures early on but none in the past few outings. I am just using cci blazer 22's nothing terribly expensive and it seems to like them.
  7. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

8. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Heritage Rough Riders have been around for awhile, they can handle .22WMR just fine,
    as long as the lock timing is correct on the pistol...so enjoy that capability of the pistol :)

If you were using Remington .22LR ammo, that's probably where the failures came from.
    Although, it being a Phoenix, it coulda been the gun as well.