Cheap and reliable handgun???

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by blackdb1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. blackdb1

blackdb1 New Member

Hey guys this is my first post on here, so hello to all!!!

I am looking for a semi auto in the price range of $200... I'm thinking about a Hi Point 9mm? Maybe a Bersa thunder .380?
    This is the most informative and knowlegable forum I have come across so hope to get some great replies!
    Thanks...
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Cheap and reliable? I would go revolver.
  3. Tom

Tom Member

Cheap and reliable tend not to go together. A .380 is a little anemic. How about a 9mm or a .38/357? There may still be some police turn-in 9mm and .38/357s you might find. In brands, go for Ruger or S&W. Not Taurus. Don't trust Taurus QA to make a consistently descent product.
  4. blackdb1

blackdb1 New Member

I would get a revolver but don't know of any decently priced ones? A buddy of mine used to have a hammerless Taurus .44 revolver that he picked up for $200!!! I however have not found any such deal so far!?
    I would love to have a Smith and Wesson 636 .38 snub nose, however it is waaay out of my price range! Any suggestions???
  5. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

There are a few under $300 handguns at my local gunshop, like a S&W Mod 15 for $199 and a colt snubby around $299. This was a few weeks ago, though, so I'm not sure if they are still their.
  6. blackdb1

blackdb1 New Member

Those are reasonable prices. Guess I'ma just have to go looking for one!!!???
    I already have a Mossberg 12 ga., pistol grip, and a 9 round barrel... I'm just looking for something for CCW now and don't have alot of cash!
    I have a Rohm Gmbh model 66 .22lr revolver but have no cylinder for it and CANNOT find one so I am on the hunt for another pistol!
  7. Saito100

Saito100 New Member

I was in the same boat, and after considering a Hi Point C9, I then reconsidered, after viewing the different pistols at the local shop. I thought I might like the Bersa Thunder 9mm, then I found the Ruger P95. They can be had Brand new for about $393 list price, or so, and only took a little while more to save for it. It is a much better pistol then my original choice, of a Hi Point. Lots of people own Hi Point, and swear by them, they have a lifetime warrantee, but for me, I have decided on the Ruger.

[​IMG]
  8. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Semi's are nice, but because of the slide, my aim is always off, even if I gave it my all to keep it steady. Revolvers will always be my first choice, both reliable and durable.
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

For that price...go with a snubby .38special. A gunshop should have a few off brands that will work fine.

mike
    gn
  10. blackdb1

blackdb1 New Member

That ruger P95 is NICE!!! Thanks guys, you've been a REAL help!
  11. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I strongly second the Ruger P95 recommendation. Spend a little more than your stated two bills (they are about $325 new) and have a good, reliable, powerful gun that'll last you forever and that can be counted on in the clutch.

I've had one since '98 and it's a great gun, and a great value for the money.
  12. pawn

pawn Active Member

+1 Sometimes you can get good deals on police trade ins. I snagged my S&W Model 65 for well under 3 bills from Buds few years back. Pawnshops, gunshows etc are good places to hunt for a deal.

Good luck.
  13. blackdb1

blackdb1 New Member

I'm really liking that Ruger P95!!! I also would LOVE a snub nose .38 though!

I really am leaning towards that Ruger though!!! What is the clip capacity on the Ruger???

Thanks again!
  14. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

What is so bad on the Taurus I have the 38sp wheel gun and a 45acp. they work as good as my Rugers.
  15. blackdb1

blackdb1 New Member

I have always heard that Taurus makes a quality gun? My buddies was really nice!!!??? Hmmmm?