The Firearms Forum banner

Cheap and reliable handgun???

12K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  blackdb1 
#1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post on here, so hello to all!!!

I am looking for a semi auto in the price range of $200... I'm thinking about a Hi Point 9mm? Maybe a Bersa thunder .380?
This is the most informative and knowlegable forum I have come across so hope to get some great replies!
Thanks...

#28 ·
Hey guys this is my first post on here, so hello to all!!!

I am looking for a semi auto in the price range of $200... I'm thinking about a Hi Point 9mm? Maybe a Bersa thunder .380?
This is the most informative and knowlegable forum I have come across so hope to get some great replies!
Thanks...
I have a C-9, cost me about $200 with transfer and tax. It is very accurate and has a lifetime warranty. BUT it is very top heavy and takes some getting used to, but once you do, it is surprising what good groupings you get from it. I also have one of their 995 carbines that I picked up at a gun show for $200 and put an aftermarket stock on it. 9mm ammo is inexpensive and available, which the .380 IS neither available or cheap, so go with the 9mm for sure. I got my daughter a Bersa .380 at Academy for $269, it is a PPK clone, more or less and is very nice, smooth and accurate, but again, ammo is a B***** to find! The gun show there was some, but all about $40 per box. Again, go with the 9mm.

Like the gents above suggested, save your money, if this will be your only pistol then look into the 9mm Stoeger Cougar 8000 ($399 at Academy) with two mags. This is the older version of the Beretta Cougar that retailed for 2X this price when it was made in Italy. It was replaced by the Beretta PX-4. The Stoeger Cougar is now made with the same machinery in the Beretta factory in Turkey with a lifetime warranty. I have the .40 version, is DA/SA and is very accurate. It is an all metal gun, a little heavier than the composite pistols, but so well made and is very simple to field strip and clean, something you can't do with the Hi Point!!!

There are plenty of choices for 9mm's you may want to read through the best 9mm Web site, which has the top 25 listed with a short synopsis of features. http://www.best9mm.com/ The hi point made the list at #25!

Have fun shopping,
Mike B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.