Cheap Mags

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by FTK87, May 25, 2009.

1. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Recently I was at a gunshow where I picked up 3 7-round mags, the cheap ones, I think I gave 23 dollars for the 3. They say colt on the bottom with no other markings.

Well, when I decided to use them I noticed a couple of issues, I want to make sure they are normal for these cheap mags.

The main one that bothers me the most is that they are so lightwieght, when empty I hit the mag release and they don't drop. Would it hurt if I added a light film of oil to them? Any other suggestions?

The second problem, I'm not sure if it is normal or not, but when the mag is empty, the slide doesn't catch and stay back, it contiues forward like its still ready to fire. I don't see a solution to this other than buying bettter mags, but these will be fine for plinking.

Thanks for the advice,

FTK
  2. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Yep, sounds just like the run-of-the-mill cheap mags. I've got a couple, too. You could put bumper pads on them, may help a little to drop, may not. The slide not locking back is pretty normal with cheap mags, too. The ones I have just gets used on occasion for plinking. Use mags that have proven to be reliable in your pistol for carry, or anytime you are trusting your life to that pistol. Different mags work better than others in different guns, so try out a few and see what yours likes best. Don't just go buy the "best" brand based upon someone else's say-so. So, to sum it up, your cheap mags are normal cheap mags. And even a cheap mag is better than no mag, when the SHTF.
  3. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

that pretty much sums it up. i only have one mag for my springfield and its the one that came with it. no problems at all, but if i were to buy more, i think i would get some wilsons just because i have never heard of anyone having any problems at all with them. and at over $30 a piece, they better be good :)

still a nice buy for that price, good for fun, but not for protection
  4. Jimdo

Jimdo New Member

$23.00 for three Colt Mags sounds pretty good.
  5. George Hosch

George Hosch New Member

Cheap magazines have caused me enough trouble over the years that I just avoid them. Yet to find a plastic mag that had anywhere near accepatcle reliabilty for a 1911. For me, I'd rather have 2 good quality mags then 50 crappy ones.
    I really like the Wilson ETM's and if you keep looking you can find them under $30.
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

23 buck for colt magazine would be real good these are not colt made mags. they are aftermarket . they are not to be trusted for serious duty . range or plinking only. for serious duty get some wilsons or chip mccormicks everything else is second rate including kimber mags and meg-gars.....
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

This makes me think of my Dan Wesson 1911. If the mag does not drop freely it could be possible that you are pressing the release button too hard. My DW 1911 mag release button has to be pressed with just the righ amount of pressure for the mag to drop freely.... to much pressure and the mag will pop out about 1/4 of an inch and stops and will not drop. Another thing.... the DW also refuses to lock the slide back about 1/2 of the time after the last round no matter what brand of mag i use.... Wilson, Chip McCormick, Colt or some cheap mag like the ones it came with. It makes no difference.

It could just be that you have "One of Those" kind of 1911s...you know the kind that gives all other 1911s a bad name. The kind that has to be tinkered with constantly to get it to work right....the kind that SHOULD be traded....

mike
    gn
  8. Montie364

Montie364 New Member

Drop them in the scrap bucket or at least relegate them to plinking only. There are so many good quality mags out there.
    I use kimber pro's they work ALL the time and EVERY time.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  9. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I think that Wilson makes the Kimber mags.

Old Guy
  10. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I don't know where you came up with that bit of info but untrue.
  12. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Cheap Mags and a 1911 are not usually a good combo. Personally I spend a few dollars more and get the Wilson, Tripp, or ....