cheap primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jul 10, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

right now I use about 95% win primers. occasionally I use CCi if i don;t hve the win primer I need on hand ( I keep a emergency try of some magnums.. etc.. )

Last time I was at a gun show onthe coast I some some primers.. maybee tula or wolf?

normally I pay about 29-30$ per 1000 win primers. have seen those tula / wolf primers for 20$!!

I may not have been on this forum yet the last time I saw them. might have been a couple months.

anyone use them?

what's your experience been with them
    ?

they go pop like you expect?

any duds?

if so.. what %

other odd problems.. like sized wrong.. pericing easier? cratering more? etc? etc

thanks for any info you have.

not sure that 1 cent a piece is going to make or break me.. but you know.. if they are fine.. every 3 boxes.. well.. that's another set of new dies.. or every 2 boxes.. that's a set of used dies.. :)
  2. DBMJR1

DBMJR1 New Member

I use Tula SP. No problems.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Wolf has great quality IMHO, shot tons of their ammo, I can only imagine that their primers are legit and of good quality.

I also use almost all Win primers for both metallic and shotgun with some occasional CCI's for metallic depending on price. I think $33 plus tax is what I'm getting robbed for nowadays for S/L pistol/rifle and $45 for shotgun

I did have a whole string of duds with Win209's on Sunday at the range in the 870, it's brand new and appears to be whacking the primer good but something like 5 FTF out of just one box of shells I loaded; I'm thinking the 870 has something wrong with it, need to inspect but it is brand new (<1 year old) or I somehow contaminated the primers themselves although I can't figure how. Need to try them in a different shotgun and see if they go bang. I've never had any duds with win before, will see what gives.

May have to try out some of the cheaper primers for practice ammo, would for certain save quite a bit over time!
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The last primers I bought were Wolf and I am pretty happy with them. The only problem I seem to have with them is they seem to be harder to seat in .223 than other primers. Or then it could be that either my old Lee hand primer or my older thumbs are getting worn out.

I saw some Tula primers at a gun show last week, I think they were about $20 a thousand. I didn't have the money to buy any after paying for three admissions into the show. Tried to sell a 30/40 Krag but no takers.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  5. soundguy

i hear ya. I didn't have spare cash with me at the last show or I'd have tried those 20$ primers. 10$ a box will add up fast.

on your 223, do you cleant he primer pocket after each fireing?

do you use a pp uniformer?
  6. gdmoody

I don't clean the pocket each time. I bought myself one of the Lyman prep centers back in December and before I got that, I never cleaned the pocket. I never used a pocket uniformer before December either.

I pick up .223 brass at the range when I can find it. Since I bought the prep center, I will mostly use it to take the crimp out of military brass and with those I will use the uniformer that came with the prep center. Other than that, I do not use the uniformer.
  7. soundguy

since I got the lyman prep, I pretty much have it setup to ream the crimp, clean the pocket, uniform the pocket, and then the outter and inner debur tools.

i lov ethat center. very good investment.

if it had 1 more head onit a flash hole cleaner would be nice too.. :) I have a manual one I use though..
  8. gdmoody

Do they come with a flash hole reamer? I don't remember mine having one. I have mine set up with the large and the small pocket uniformer (even though I don't use them much), the small primer pocket cleaner (again don't use it much), the outside debur tool and the chamfer tool (inside debur). That chamfer tool is great for taking the military crimp out of .223 cases, just a couple of seconds on it and the crimp is gone.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  9. medalguy

medalguy Member

I've been using Wolf/Tula primers several years and had no problems at all. You will hear sometimes (less lately) that their SP primers are no good. They did have a problem with one lot I think of SP primers 2-3 years ago but no problems since them. They do seem a bit harder to seat than US made primers but that's not been an issue for me. They all go boom when hit.
  10. soundguy

i have a seperate lyman hand flash hole reamer.. however.. like many other lyman and rcbs tools.. i believe the head is threaded and detachable.. so i might just mount it when not using the military crimp remover..
  11. soundguy

actually.. if they fit stiff.. that may be good for a primer pocket that has gotten a lil loose, and if you don't have a pp swager ( i don't )
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I have 10k Wolf primers. Love them they are some of the best primers I have ever shot.

I was using CCI BR primers in my 223's and my 308. I switched to Wolf and my groups got SMALLER and my ES and SD went DOWN way DOWN.
  13. soundguy

i gotta get some now.. 10$ cheaper a box too..
  14. zant

zant Active Member

Noticed the same myself on .308 and 6.5x06....only SR I've had hard seating with is LC surplus...Silly to spend 10-15$ more a box when these primers work great.
  15. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Where is a good place to get primers? I see between $25-$40 a box and I do not know who sells the cheaper ones. Looking to buy a lot, mix and match preferred but where is a good place?