Cheapest AR-15 upper

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by azleite, Oct 27, 2010.

1. azleite

azleite Member

Hi Folks, Anyone have an idea who sells the least expensive "Quality" AR15 upper? Thanks for any help-Dave
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I second the DPMS uppers, plus dpms makes some of the best ARs IMHO...
  4. azleite

azleite Member

Thanks for the link Helix, I've bookmarked it, possible Christmas present to myself-I'll probably go with the 16" bull. Howdy JLA, always good to hear from you. Later-Dave
  5. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

IMHO, they are far from the best. Actually near the bottom.

The one linked to above is the "Sportical" upper that doesn't have a ejection port cover, forward assist or a shell deflector. A cheap upper that you will find later to be less than adequate if you are going to actually shoot it.

You don't save money by going "cheap". The Sportical is the most traded in for a better AR made. A beginner range gun. Spend a little more and save yourself from selling or trading it later for a loss.

Check BCM, they sell many different uppers that are all listed on this page.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Upper-Receiver-Groups-s/1.htm

You didn't say exactly what you were looking for...16", 18", 20" so I can't suggest any to you. Have a look at the BCM models at the bottom of the page I link to above.

DPMS lovers, didn't mean to to rattle your cage, just my opinion based on 25 years shooting and working on the AR. I did buy a DPMS Sportical from a friend because it was real cheap for my wife so I have shot and worked on one, not just hear-say. We traded it after a few months.

Here's a link to the dreaded AR Chart, that many people hate. But if you go to the bottom of the page it shows the differences in various AR brands and why some are "cheap". I don't think many of the items are of real importance but many are. Take note of the many features missing in the DPMS column. And notice why I suggested BCM for your upper.
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The flat top upper w/o the port cover or forward assist was meant to be used by the target/ bench and varmint shooter. The forward assist was used to give the shell a extra bump and the cover was to keep out the crap when not in use. Bench shooters seldom have to deal with this so it was eliminated from the upper but not out of being cheap. Mine didn't have one b/c I reloaded my own and bumping a shell while bench shooting meant to me that there was a ammo problem so I would never bump anyway. The sportical upper was made for entry level but it works and works well. I had one with the 16in bull barrel and it easily shot 1 inch groups a 100 yards. So yeah they are the bottom of the barrel but they are not total crap as some may say. Leave that for Vulcan arms.;)
    Now I would like to add just a technical note to the sportical upper b/c it has come up a few times. The gas block used with the sportical was not designed to be used with a hand guard that has a hand guard cap. It was meant for free float tubes. What may happen with that upper is a failure to completely cycle b.c of the presents of the cap moves the gas port in the block to far forward and out of alignment with the port in the barrel by about .032. Hotter rounds won't have a cycle issues but standard 55g and lighter rounds will not completely cycle. The spent case will eject but then the bolt will slam shut without stripping a new round. 2 ways to handle this, go to a free float grip and dump hand guard cap or have a machinist take off .032 off the face of the gas block on the side with the hole for the gas tube. I've done this with about 5 sportical uppers so far.
  7. azstubie

azstubie New Member

Try this also www.jtdistributing.net, I just built my AR with one of their complete uppers with the lower parts kit included with it. $499 with many options available. It came completely assembled.
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

You get what you pay for.:rolleyes: