Check it out.

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by swanshot, Mar 23, 2009.

1. swanshot

swanshot New Member

I'm goin bush for a few weeks next month, and plannin to do some damage to ferral goats, among other things.
    I have this little martini wildcat chambered in 30 Herrett, but have never done any really serious load developement on it.
    A couple of days ago that changed.
    I took a heap of prepared cases, press, powder, etc,etc to the range and set up in the clubhouse, determined not to leave until I knew for a fact that I had it as good as it was ever gonna get.
    I wanted to find a load using 125gn 308 Nosler ballistic tips, and ohhh lordy I found it:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    The first target was shot with Alliant Reloader 7. Which is the powder I was pretty much focused on. The results were ok, but not good, and I was starting to get a little discouraged, when I thought "what the hell, I'll try some reloader 10". YeeeeeHaaaa:D:D
    That bottom target group is 3/4 inch:D
    Yes, I loaded some more and confirmed the accuracy. I didn't shoot a group this small again, but an inch was easy.
    Trouble is, now I have no excuse, any bad shots are down to me.:eek:

P.S. for those who arn't familiar with it, the 30 Herrett is a shortened 30/30 round. Developed for sillouette pistol shooting. The above loads are producing 1900ft/sec, so you can see it is strictly a 100yd rifle for use on game up to 150 lbs. That covers the goats I'm after (hunting in scrub), and smaller roos. The really big blokes I'll just have to let walk away. Unless of course I happen to be totin my other favorite huntin calibre 6.5x55

The lovely Mrs SwanShot is just processin a pic of the rifle, but I'm impatient, so I'll post that in a few minutes.

Attached Files:

2. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Here's the little carbine. I was making a sillouette pistol, and brought a rifle barrel. What to do with the left over length of barrel (19 inches)? Why, make a little carbine in the same calibre of course.:D:D:D
    A very modest little thing, but I love it, and it only weighs 5 pounds.
    So long as I recognise it's limitations it makes light game fall over real dead.

Attached Files:

3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Pretty little carbine and from what I have heard a good cartridge for it.
  4. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

That project has really come together. And there is nothing wrong with having a light rifle to carry all day. Have a good trip! I take it those hellish temperatures are starting to moderate with the change of season. By the way, what type of crown did you put on that barrel?
  5. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Thanks DWARREN. I have always wanted something like this. And now I have it:D:D:D:D
  6. swanshot

swanshot New Member

And today I tested my loads for the 6.5x55.
    This is a sporterised M38. the target was shot off a bench at 100 mts (110 yards). The center of that target is 1inch.
    Now I'm all set to go.

I brought 100 Sierra 6.5. 142grn HP boattail MatchKing projectiles today. they cost $65.00 I kid you not. Now these are never a cheapy, but $65......This is gettin scary.:eek::eek:

Attached Files:

7. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Hey Swanshot. Looks like some fun was had. I especially like the target of what appears to be a Crow or Raven. Nice grouping. Good luck hunting and please send pictures.:) catfish