Check my powder guesses

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Easyshooter, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member

Newbie here sorry. Just picked up a RCBS reloader, powder measurer and bench mounted primer tool for $140 at a gun show, bought new dies for all my guns and now ready to get started reloading. Originaly I figured I would only need two or three powder types for all my calibers but after reading my manual and load data online I found out different. Here is what I am considering buying now:

For my 45 colt and 45 acp; Blue Dot for magnum loads and Unique for regular loads.

Riffles, 25-06, 303 British, 8mm Mauser; IMR4350 and some Varget

223; (60+ grain bullets for my 1-9 twist) Vargret and BL-C(2)

7.62x54R, 7.62x39; Vargret and BL-C(2)

Would like to get by with not having to buy too many different powders so I tried to find ones that would work good for more than one of my guns. These guesses look okay? Also read that just by changing the brand of primer (not from regular to magnum) can affect the pressure. Is that something I need to worry about?

Thanks..
  2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I just started reloading myself and am using IMR4350 for my 25-06 as well. So far I've had great results with it using Nosler 115gr ballistic tips.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

All you need is unique, Varget and 4350.

The Unique can be loaded hot in the .45 colt and is one of the best choices for both .45s anyway.

Thye Varget will cover everything else nicely except the .25/06, it will need the IMR4350 to realize the best performance and accuracy. Varget is my go to powder for the 7.62X54R. Its a little slow for the 7.62X39, so you may have consistency issues there. I might add one other suggestion in IMR4198 for the 7.62X39. it is the ideal brun speed for that short fat little round and also is a great cast bullet powder for all of your rifle cartrdges.
  4. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I completely agree with JLA. Using those powders suggested will get you where you want to go. One caveat: your rifle loads will go "bang" but the rifle will tell you what works best in (group size)

Get a case trimmer and a tumbler. You do not want to run uncleaned brass through your dies; it will ruin them. No need to trim your pistol stuff, particularly if you get a taper crimp die for the long colt.
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Welcome to TFF, Easyshooter.

I would not worry about primer brand unless you are building maximum loads or for extreme benchrest accuracy. I've been handloading for decades and I don't give a hoot about what brand of primer I use for my range loads. Winchester, CCI, Federal, Remington..... all the same to me. I use what I have on the shelf.
  6. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member

Thanks for all the replies!
    I would like some accuracy out of the 25-06, 223, and 45 colt. The other guns I just have iron sights on and my eyes are only good for 70 yards anyway so all they need to do is go bang.
  7. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

IMR 4064 seems to work for me in them large cal. rifles. but thats the fun of reloading is to play, but stay in the guide lines of the books!
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I would also throw out the suggestion for IMR4198 for the 7.62x39.
    It's a bit on the fast side for the .223 but might be worth trying.

An alternative to Varget is IMR4064. Very similar burn rate and it's an old proven performer. They're darn near identical in performance...so which which ever is easier to locate would be my choice.
    IMR4064 was my go-to .22-250 powder that I used in the 8mmx57. It'll work for the .303 and 7.62x54R as well.

For the .25-06, I would put IMR4895, H4895, or RL-19 on your future choice list too.
    With 100gr and heavier bullets, I've had better luck with slow-burning powders. I do use H4350 for 75 & 87gr bullets though.
    IMR4350 might work just fine in your rifle but if it doesn't, try a slower burn rate.
  9. res45

res45 Member

I like Reloader #7 in the X39 for jacketed bullet works well with cast bullet loads also. AA-1680 is the preferred powder in the X39 case and it meter like water but nobody carries it around here. 4198 is a good powder in the X39 I've used it before but couldn't quiet get the accuracy out of it as the other two powders I mentioned.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

1680 is a booger to find here too. Nobody wants to stock accurate powders it seems