check out my unusual yard sale find.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fleetwood1976, Aug 21, 2011.

1. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

driving through town friday evening and I see a compound bow and these whitetail mounts propped up against a porch in a guys yard with a for sale sign. I pull over and sure enough the mounts are for sale.

they are from the 80's with documentation and in great shape.

I put a ruler that is 13 inches long all together in the bottom one for reference and the bottom one has a 29 inch neck and is a 10 pointer.

The top one is a 12 pointer with a huge brow tine and a little down tine.

both are bigger than anything I had ever come across and he traded them to me for 150 clam shells for the pair.

I thought that was a steal considering it costs over $300 to get just one taxedermied nowdays.

Am I missing something or is there no market for other peoples trophy's. I think they are a great piece of natural history and awesome to look at for 75% off and I get to enjoy them now, in case I never harvest one of my own this nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i think they are excellent and well done ,

i sell the racks i get , i have no interest in trophy's myself , but folks by them

i've not sold entire heads usually just the skull and antlers , but they sell

i've a hunting store ( gun shop) that buy's a few on consignment and when they sell i get ammo or other things in trade and i'm happy with the deal

$150 , is cheap so i reckon you got a deal

good one eh
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Nice mounts fleetwood.Here in NY you are not alowed to sell mounts:confused: I was told by a local taxadermist that the powers to be here put a law in effect in 1999 that the sale of mounts promotes more illeagal hunting.People were road hunting and takeing just the heads plus people who saw big racks out of season would kill them for there racks and get them mounted and sell them:mad:So you don't get to see things like that at yard sales.Even to the point that when you go into a big box store the mounts you see are loaned to them (rented)......GOOFY
  4. fleetwood1976

that is wierd. If you couldn't sale them what would you do to settle an estate of a hunter, donate to a museum?

All I could find on indiana law was that it was leagal to own any taxedermied aniamal that was lawfully taken in season. and these are documented by the taxedermist and have tags so I would say they where lawfully taken.

However, the law was unclear if you could sell them or not, just said you could leagally own them. I would say if you can own them, you should be able to buy them. They sell mounts and antlers on auction sites. I would say it varies from state to state.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Deer are a introduced species here ( classed as feral) so no season and no limits

just like on gun owners , no season and no limits on how many the anti's can harass ...
  6. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

In PA you aren't allowed to sell a head UNLESS it has already been mounted. Possibly NY has the same issues due to poaching. If someone spends 3 to 5 hundred to get a mount done and they decide to change the decor of the house or as mentioned above to settle an estate they can be sold at a lower price than it would cost to mount them. Some states taxidermy is high dollar for a mount. Alot of people don't hunt but wish to have a trophy hanging so people hunt legally and sell the mounts to those for big dollars. Nice find Fleetwood!!
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It's legal here in TX, as long as it's a legally taken deer. That means that if you find a 10 point buck on the side of the road here, you can not take any part of it. I buy some antlers for flint napping, and there are a quite a few folks around that will buy them for the same purpose also.
  8. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got a good deal ! And they look like good mounts !

Having all the documentation is important; i.e. possession tags, etc as the AR types - and their bureaucratic trolls - are ever watchful ! A quick peruse of your state's FG&W regs ought to tell you everything you need to know about buying a legal mount.

Congrats ! >MW
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

niiiiiiice...
  10. fleetwood1976

I double checked with dnr and I am good as gold. It just has to be a leagally taken dear during season, and it is fine in indiana.
  11. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member