Checkered stock on Remington model 514

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by wpshooter, Apr 1, 2011.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I found someone that has a Remington model 514 for sale.

The wood on the forearm of the stock is checkered.

The guy that has the gun for sale says that the checkering was done by Remington when the gun was manufactured.

Anyone familiar as to whether any of the model 514s came with checkering from the manufacturer ?

Thanks.
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Well I've been wrong before, but I always understood that a 514 was an economy gun, sort of a poor man's 5-teen Remington. That said, I can't imagine that an econo. rifle would come with a checkerd stock and I've never seen one as such. That's not to say that there weren't special order guns available or aftermarket replacement stocks that were available checkered. I would doubt it came from the factory like that unless I see evidence to the contrary.
  3. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

I have never seen a 514 ckerd from the fac nor have I seen Rem cker the forearm of any gun and not the wrist. If you end up getting it, be sure to see that the scw on the safety button at the rear of the action is snug. You will not enjoy finding another of those buttons........
  4. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I called Remington yesterday and they told me that YES there were some that had checkering on the stocks, they were special order 514s.

Thanks.