Checking for Incipient Case Head Separation?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Josh Smith, Dec 6, 2011.

1. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

The belt is there for a reliable way of headspacing. It is designed to give absolute reliability in dangerous hunting applications. It is not obsolete by any means. I prefer belted cases for tactical type application. They are not as accurate as standard rimless when the conditions are perfect, but they are much more reliable across the spectrum of the enviornmental elements.
  2. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Only if he cleared a "jam" on the round prior to the explosion.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes very possible, another good possibility would be that someone thought it would be funny to fill a round with powder plum to the casemouth and stuff a bullet back in there and put it back in the box so they could laugh at whoever got that round on re-qual day. Problem is I doint think they expected it to go kaboom the way it did.
  4. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

They were lucky, that the guy was right handed. It could have been very serious. It could been a manslaughter case.
  5. The Duke

The Duke New Member

I found out by complete accident a way to tell where the solid part of the case head meets the hollow ...If you take a bit of 400 grit paper and burnish the outside case side about 1/4 to 3/8" from the head, the 'ring' will appear...This will work even on highly polished cases...

I found this out by trying a piece of grit to see if a 'spot' on a case was a bit of corrosion or a small dent...rubbed the area and noticed the abrasion had brought out the ring...Tried on a number of other cases and it works....From the "For What its Worth Department".;)
  6. the wolf

the wolf New Member

from that pics you showing.. the one upside down.. I noticed on the bottom got a slight ring.. the other spent case.. got a ring ( the middle).. tell me I am right or wrong.... this something I am watching for but never knew what to look for.. I always track the amount time the brass case get reloaded.. after 5 or 6 times.. it goes to the brass recylce bin.