Checking in again.....With Photograph

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by muley, Jan 19, 2006.

1. muley

muley New Member

Hi Folks,
    Had to bring Mrs muley in from the desert to the doc for a little checkup. She's doing OK for an old gal, but she needs her oil changed, etc, and a few things realigned........Anyway, a few days or so back I posted a story about uncovering the Prince Albert can with the 1956 nickle that my dad and I put under the huge rock in the desert when I was a kid.....well, after we got back to camp, Mrs muley was fooling with the nickle and cleaning it up and discovered that it was actually a 1957. I was positive it was in the fall of 1956 when we did this. Did new coins come out the previous year then? Just curious......Anyway, here is a picture of the old can and coin for those nostalgic minded folks around.......
    Your friend,
    muley
    [​IMG]
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Cool! I hope you keep those mementos tucked away in a safe place.
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Thanks for sharing Muley. Hope the Mrs is okay. In regards to the nickel, they are minted by year and only released in that year. Hope this helps. Stay well, my friend.
  4. muley

muley New Member

inplanotx......OK, I'm going to believe you rather then my faulty old memory. It very well could have been '57.....I know it was right at Thanksgiving time, though. My old pappy and I happened to come upon an old man and his wife the very next day who had been stuck in a wash for a couple of days. We hadn't seen anyone and hadn't planned on seeing anyone in that part of the country, so we stopped and helped them out. They were nice and invited us into their small travel trailer for a Thanksgiving feast. It was great and we camped out with them that night. Ahhhh, memories..... :) :)
    muley
  5. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Those must of been great days.
  6. I know what you mean, Muley. I'm nearly 57, but I remember so very clearly the time my Dad and I went deer hunting when I was about 16. We had no luck that day, but on the way down the mountain we stopped off at a little cafe/tavern for something to drink. You know, the friendly kind that was so common many years ago. Anyway, while I had a coke and my Dad drank a beer, we noticed the bartender was chatting to one of the customers about a new 10-gauge double-barrel shotgun he had bought and intended to use for ducks. I asked him a couple of questions about the gun, and before you know it, he asked me if I would like to shoot it. I caught the wink he gave my Dad because he clearly thought I would end up on my butt if I shot it. I was slight of build then, but my Dad was unworried about the outcome since it was he who had taught me to shoot. I wound up shooting that monster four times, the first two of at a standing target and the last two at clay pigeons, both of which I nailed. The point of the tale is that I can't remember feeling any prouder than when my Dad appeared to be so unconcerned about my ability to handle the weapon. I felt I had finally grown up in his eyes.
  7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Sooooo.........I suppose your going to keep the can and nickle..... :p

Thanks for the followup pics.