Cherokee Single shot shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Randy1944, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Randy1944

Randy1944 New Member

Can someone share information with me about a shotgun, stamped on the receiver "Cherokee"? When made? By Whom? Different grades? It seems some were marked "25" some "50" and some "75". Some had a thumb latch on forearm. Thanks for your information. Randy1944
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The name Cherokee Arms Co. was used by C. M. McClung Co. of Knoxville, Tn. H & D Folsom was a supplier to the company and their main source of U. S. shotguns was their own company, Crescent Arms Co. Folsom also supplied imported shotguns ( read Belgium ) for their customers. Note, Trade names lists are not complete and probably never will be. McClune's was not married to Folsom, they could and probably did order shotguns from who ever had the best price. The name Cherokee was roll marked on all of them.Crescent shotguns can be researched for their different grades but if different suppliers were involved then you have a lot of researching to do. There are no witten records to go by and even the experts have been worng more than once. ( Some times it's a guessing game ).
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Randy, I have an old 50 Cherokee 16 ga that belonged to my Grandfather. He gave it to me when I was a kid. I couldn't count the game taken with that old shotgun. The barrel had been sawed off about 6 inches and no front sight. Just point and shoot. The shotgun isn't worth a lot of money but it's priceless to me. :)
  4. Randy1944

Randy1944 New Member

Thank you RJay for the information. I have found out that "Cherokee" was a name that C. M. McClung did indeed place on many items that they sold. I have a hatchet that is very decorative and has C. M. McClung as well as Cherokee and a image of a Cherokee Indian Chief all on the head of the hatchet. I have been told of a double barrel shotgun as well. It does seem that Cherokee shotguns and items all came out of east Tennessee. Details about different grades and dates of mfg. are not readily available. I look forward to any information that might be forthcoming. Randy1944
  5. Spence the Elder

Spence the Elder New Member