Chicago gun turn in day, 5-8-2010

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by tireman7.62x54r, May 8, 2010.

1. tireman7.62x54r

tireman7.62x54r New Member

May 8th, 2010 City of Chicago gun turn in day. Assault rifles $100, pistols and rifles $75, BB guns $10.

I drove to Chicago today and turned in a wall hanger 1902 Mosin Nagant with a plugged barrel and a Marlin model 60 .22 that's been sitting in the closet broken for the last 25 years.

I didn't see anyone else there turning in guns, but there was a nice looking Mossberg pistol grip shotgun in a box, the other boxes were too far away, I couldn't see inside.

They gave me two $75 pre-paid MasterCards for junk guns that I got for free. Thank you City of Chicago. Now I have a dilemma, do I buy more ammo, or do I buy a Mosin Nagant at the next gun show.
  2. navis128

navis128 New Member

So did the people that traded you the $75/gun cards kinda roll their eyes or anything? I mean I wouldn't have given you $75 for both letalone a piece. :)

I just wonder if some of the "officials" think it's stupid too.
  3. tireman7.62x54r

tireman7.62x54r New Member

There were 22 gun turn in locations in the city, mostly church's. The location I went to had a half dozen cars in the parking lot, but when I followed the signs and walked down into the church basement there was only 8 Chicago cops there. I walked up to the table and a woman cop says: whip it out and put in on the table, I stood there for a few seconds then said that I've got 2 rifles out in the car. I went back to the car and got the rifles, brought them in and set them on the table. Then 2 officers took the rifles into an adjoining room to inspect and tag them. An officer at the end of the table said thanks for coming in today and gave me the pre-paid cards.

It was worth the 1/2 hour drive for me.

I just checked the WBBM radio website, they said that the city of Chicago collected over 4,000 guns today, last year they collected 1900 guns, (don't know how many were BB guns or replica's). They were paying $10 for BB guns or replica's.

I should have asked if they would give me $10 for my son's old rubber band pistol or squirt gun.
  4. navis128

navis128 New Member

Hey, they might have done it...sounds like a real exciting day for them.
  5. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

humm, 8 cops in a church basement buying junk guns with taxpayer money...at least the bad guys knew where all the cops were.
  6. wpage

wpage Active Member

Wonder how many arrests were made?
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I wonder how many throw aways the police had to substitute if some misguided soul brought in a nice pistol? Corruption in that city permeates all levels of government.
  8. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

yup, probably the big b--thole of Ill. No offense to the residents that read this forum..
  9. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I know lots of people here in Arkansas that will offer $100 for assault weapons in working order. LOL
  10. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    They had one in Los Angeles today, as well. They showed the haul. Most were old rifles and shotguns, but there were S&Ws in there, and a few others that you wonder if some cop wouldn't pick up for him/herself. They bragged that they'd make re-bar out of it after melting them down. Freedom in action. Well, they usually pull this stunt in the "inner city" areas, so I guess it's up to them to leave themselves defenseless. Don't think they'd get much from around here. TJ
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

If they tried that around here, people would be lined up for blocks. That would be just the ones offering 20% more than the cops.

Pops
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Is anyone challenging these "turn-in days?" If it were me, I'd be getting a lawyer, or I'd be making people offers on some of the guns and then I'd be headed out of the state to somewhere else.
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

In Chicago, there's criminals on both sides of the law. Just because one wears a police uniform doesn't make him a 'good' guy.
  14. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

That's what he said. ;)

Pops
  15. CMfromIL

CMfromIL New Member

What's to challenge? It's done on free will. If you have a gun like the OP and you want a quick $75/gun why not?

If you don't want to turn it in...don't.