Chick-Fil-A story made up by CNN

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by BlackEagle, Jul 26, 2012.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Is the media creating straw men to knock down?

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ga...y/2012/07/24/id/446402?s=al&promo_code=F8E3-1

Mainstream Media Invents Gay Marriage Chick-fil-A Controversy
    Tuesday, 24 Jul 2012 02:31 PM

By Patrick Hobin

CNN and other left-friendly media outlets are running full speed with an erroneous story that brands the president of the Chick-fil-A restaurant chain a homophobe because he allegedly told a reporter he is “guilty as charged” when it comes to his company being opposed to gay marriage, The Weekly Standard reported.

But the Chick-fil-A president, Dan Cathy, did not condemn gay marriage. CNN and other liberal outlets made their own leap from Cathy expressing support of the traditional family and Christian growth and ministry to making Cathy appear to be condemning gay marriage.

A review of the original interview shows he wasn’t even asked a question about gay marriage nor did he say he condemns it.

The erroneous report caused such an uproar that even Boston's mayor threatened to deny the company business permits, and the Muppets announced the fast food chain wouldn't be able to license any new toys for their kids meals.

For example, CNN said in its story: “But the comments of company President Dan Cathy about gay marriage to Baptist Press on Monday have ignited a social media wildfire.

‘Guilty as charged,’ Cathy said when asked about his company's support of the traditional family unit as opposed to gay marriage.

‘We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that,’ Cathy is quoted as saying.”

In the actual interview, Cathy wasn’t specifically asked about gay marriage.

His remarks to the paper were as follows:

“We don’t claim to be a Christian business,” Cathy told the Biblical Recorder in a recent visit to North Carolina. He attended a business leadership conference many years ago where he heard Christian businessman Fred Roach say, “There is no such thing as a Christian business.”

“That got my attention,” Cathy said. Roach went on to say, “Christ never died for a corporation. He died for you and me.”

“In that spirit . . . [Christianity] is about a personal relationship. Companies are not lost or saved, but certainly individuals are,” Cathy added. “But as an organization we can operate on biblical principles. So that is what we claim to be. [We are] based on biblical principles, asking God and pleading with God to give us wisdom on decisions we make about people and the programs and partnerships we have. And He has blessed us.”

And here's what Cathy says about marriage, the Weekly Standard reported:

The company invests in Christian growth and ministry through its WinShape Foundation (WinShape.com). The name comes from the idea of shaping people to be winners. It began as a college scholarship and expanded to a foster care program, an international ministry, and a conference and retreat center modeled after the Billy Graham Training Center at the Cove.

“That morphed into a marriage program in conjunction with national marriage ministries,” Cathy added.

Some have opposed the company’s support of the traditional family.

“We are very much committed to that,” Cathy emphasized. “We intend to stay the course,” he said. “We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles.”

CNN and other outlets reported that Cathy spoke words directly addressing gay-rights issues and implied that he delivered anti-gay remarks.

GetReligion.org said the reporting “raises an interesting journalistic question: Is a defense of one doctrine automatically the same thing as an on-the-record attack on the opposite doctrine? In this case, is it accurate for CNN (and others) to say that Cathy made comments about gay marriage when, in fact, he did not speak words addressing that issue?”

The reporter of the original Biblical Recorder story, K. Allan Blume said, according to GetReligion.org, that Cathy was "very positive” and the conversation was not being portrayed accurately.

Many of those reports “turned [the original story] into a negative,” Blume said, according to the website. Blume said the term “anti-gay” never came up in the interview.

“He was not saying ‘guilty as charged anti-gay,’” Blume said. “[Cathy] never even brought up that subject. Everything he stated was on the positive side . . . He never stated anything negative.”

The Weekly Standard wrote, “To say that Cathy condemned gay marriage is stunningly dishonest. And yet, Cathy's had to endure headlines such as, "Boston Mayor Blocks Chick-fil-A Franchise from City over Homophobic Attitude" — and that headline comes from Time, which is allegedly one of the more responsible media outlets. CNN, Time, and many other news organizations owe Cathy and Chick-fil-A some serious corrections and/or clarifications.”

Chick-fil-A is not without its backers, however, as the backlash of the non-controversy has a backlash of its own, with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee asking supporters to eat at one of the fast food chain's more than 1,500 locations on Aug. 1 as part of an "appreciation day."

"The goal is simple: Let's affirm a business that operates on Christian principles and whose executives are willing to take a stand for the Godly values we espouse by simply showing up and eating at Chick Fil-A on Wednesday, August 1," Huckabee wrote on his Facebook page.
  2. bountyh

bountyh Former Guest

Yeah, his comments show that he is VERY ACCEPTING of the alternate lifestyle:

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/07/cathynohope.html

I assume he meant to say "depraved" mind...?
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a mind Deprived of God by humanist thoughts is often depraved ...
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Scripture is very clear that the "alternate lifestyle" (sodomy) is a most heinous sin. So bad, in fact, that God destroyed entire cities because their inhabitants practiced it.

No need to bash this businessman, me or anyone else that speaks this simple truth. Take it up with God - He made the rules.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  6. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Dan Cathy's only sin is that he lives the American Dream. He has worked hard, achieved wealth and position through that hard work and as far as we know, lived a good Christian life and followed the laws and precepts of this Nation. And for this, he is castigated. Chicago's mayor, Rahm Emanual said that Chick-Fil-A's values are not Chicago's values.
    Very few of our elected officials have ever achieved success or accumulated great wealth through old-fashioned blood, sweat and tears so naturally they have no respect for those who do and readily chastise opinions of those who are guided by experience, the Bible and the precepts of our founding fathers. They have inundated this country with foreigners, legal and illegal who were weaned in 3rd. world values and have nothing but a cursory understanding our rich American history and values.
    Between a biased, liberal media, a youthful society brain washed by left-wing educational elitist, doo-gooders and minority bottom-feeders, we are in the minority and cannot possibly achieve our goals through the traditional electoral process. We are way past the wake-up call to the destruction of this Country.
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

This brings up another question. OK, so Dan Cathy did not condemn homosexual marriage, but what if he had? Wouldn't that be his right? In fact, why wouldn't he have the right to not hire homosexuals?

At the risk of being hammered here, I must confess to never having been a fan of anti-discrimination laws. I believe a business owner has a right to choose who to do business with and who to hire. I don't care if a restaurant owner posts a sign on his door stating "No redheads allowed", or refuses to hire some swishy sodomite, I see it as his right.

I realize I'd be rolling back 50 years of civil rights legislation, but to me it's always seemed a self evident fact of natural law that someone who has made the investment and put in the work to build a business, has the right to deny service to anyone, for any reason.

Yes, that would include racial discrimination, and I realize how repugnant that sounds to most. I'm not saying it is morally right, and I would personally participate in a boycott of such a business, but I believe private property rights give the owner of a business that privilege.

If all that seems absurd to you, consider that we have all had decades of political correctness and the civil rights agenda hammered into us, just as we have all been raised to accept the concept of eminent domain, another principle of law that denies private property rights.

Now, if I owned a business I would reserve the right, despite the law, to surround myself with whomever I choose. If I didn't want to have to deal with someones overtly effeminant mannerisms, I wouldn't. If I owned a business that deals with the public, I damned sure wouldn't want my business represented in that way. I have had the experience of being waited on in a restaurant by someone exhibiting such mannerisms and there is a definite ick factor in having such a person handle your food.

So to me, CNN exagerating Cathy's comments didn't make them any worse. That's the said part, that CNN believed they did. Either way, I applaud Chick-Fil-A. Hey, that rhymes.:D
  8. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I wouldn't 'hammer' on anyone expressing their beliefs in this matter.
    The problem is, gays insist on our acceptance of their ways, but will not accept that we won't accept it.
    In short, gays want it both ways, they don't want to be discriminated against, but they will discriminate against those who discriminate against them.
    They are the quintessential hypocrits.
    I don't hate or dislike them per se, I just find them annoyingly narrow in their life veiw.
    It's as though they are purely defined by their homosexuality, that's all they are.
    I'm heterosexual, but that doesn't define me, nor would I want or allow myself to be defined by my sexuality, it's so stupid.
    I think those who's first definition of themselves involves their sexual orientation are small minded individuals.
    Sure, sex is great, but there's a hell of a lot more to life than that!
    And CNN and many others cater to this foolishness.
  9. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

If they (gays) have the right to speak out about their beliefs why can't Cathy or anyone else speak out in favor of man/woman marraige without a stink. :banghead:
  10. g1nomad

g1nomad New Member

Well crud, I was going to patronize him because he did, or so I thought? I
    always thought it bizarre they were closed on Sundays, but I don't want
    them to suffer any business lose over this homo thing.

I still say Saturday is the Sabbath from my limited understanding. You should
    be working Sundays IMO.
  11. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

We went by a Chick-Fil-A today.
    They were PACKED.
    Lots of people coming out with bags -
    No guys holding hands or kissing, though -

I am going to put this up on the church sign:

EET MORE CHIKEN!
  12. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Couldn't have said it better. That sums up their point of view in a nutshell.