chileno model 1895 mauser

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wthalacker, Jul 10, 2006.

1. wthalacker

wthalacker New Member

I did a search on "mauser chileno modelo 1895" and have read several forum postings from numerous sites. I have become more confused after reading some of them. The rifle is stamped with a crest on the upper receiver and has "manufactura loewe berlin" under the mauser portion on the left side of the receiver. The ser # is B6823. The really wierd piece of info is the "NATO 1961" stamp on the rear of the reciever just behind where the loading clip goes. I purchased this gun in 1990 and the dealer who sold it said it was .308 and I have run numerous rounds through it for target practice and hunting. The questions are: What is the original ammo cal? And why did NATO stamp such an old rifle?

Walt
  2. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

in 1961 the gun was arsenal converted to .308 NATO...

it was probable originaly chambered in 7X57MM MAUSER but might also have been original a 7.65 BELGIUM (ARGENTINE) if it was on of the OVS / BOER WAR contract pieces...

in 1961 CHILE was issuing troops a semiauto battle rifle chambered in 7.62 NATO, so they converted there reserve / 2nd line guns to .7.62 NATO not only for training purposes, but to simplify there TO&E / supply line by having only 1 rifle caliber ammo that would be distributed...

this is a common practice.

best regards, mike.
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I would add that the 308 chamber is soldered in place.
    I would be very careful of what loads I would shoot in it.
    If it hasn't been it should be checked out by a smith.
  4. wthalacker

wthalacker New Member

Thanks to all. The rechambering does make sense when its put into perspective with the time period.
  5. norton m gross

norton m gross New Member

please forgive my telling you this.......
    I before e, except after c!