1. Well, as you might expect from my earlier posts, I ended up with peppers coming out of my ears this year! ;) I had so many that I had trouble figuring out what to do with them all! I froze quite a number for later use this winter, gave away a lot of them, and we ate them by the bushel basket it seems. I finally decided to try a little experiment with some of them. I put them in my dehydrator, dried them completely, and then ground them up in my food processor to make a chili powder. Into that powder went a variety of different peppers, hot bananas, Serranos, Anaheims, Big Jims, poblanos, and various others, a general mixture. I'd like your opinion on how you think this stuff will work our as an additive to dishes later this fall and winter. Donny, you should have some good input on this. Have you ever tried doing something like this? Oh, and I also made pure Cayenne pepper out of the Cayennes. From the looks of the plants, I should get quite a bit more of it before the season ends.
  2. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    My gosh, my tongue is tingling.
    I think i can almost smell it.
    i'd like to try that with Ron's 15 bean soup.
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Hey Pistol, ever have any run ins with the ghost chillies? I saw them on man v food the other night and they are supposed to be nearly 2x as hot as habanaro chillies. I looked them up and they are native to India. Set the record for heat at over 1,000,000 scoville units. Now that is insanely hot. I found a place you can by seeds, 25 for around 8 or 9 dollars.
  4. I think I'll pass on the ghost peppers, Jackson. ;) I've read about those, and eating the equivalent of slag from a blast furnace sounds a bit extreme to me. Donny (Crpdeth), however, would probably gobble them down like peppermint candies and ask for more. ;)
  5. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

Dried chili peppers ? People in the southwest been doing that for
    hundreds of years. They would string them together and hang them
    outside to dry. Then mash them up for cooking all throughout the
    winter. I prefer the green hot powders for rubs on ribs and briskets.
    I also sprinkle it into soups and casseroles. I find I use less salt that way.
    Chili is as addicting as drugs, but much safer and tastier.
  6. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Pistol,

I am truly jealous of your pepper harvest. :D

Man with that chili powder, you can liven up beef and pork roasts, stews, soups, potato dishes, veggies just anything you eat will taste better.

A lot will depend on how hot the mixture is. I would think any recipe calling for plain chili powder or peppers would work fine, but branch out. Have you ever sauteed squash with onions, garlic and peppers? Add a dash of your chili powder to spice it up.

The possibilities are endless.
  7. My goal was to make it about medium hot, 45. I included a few Serranos in the mix, along with some cowhorns, and both are fairly hot peppers, but the majority of the mix is made from pretty mild ones, like Anaheims and Big Jims.
  8. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Make a pot roast with your normal seasonings and veggies then sprinkle a goodly amount of your chili powder on top and cook as normal. Thank me now, you won't be able break away from the table to do so later.

A pork roast liberally coated with this mixture would be heavenly.
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Absolutely, Rich...

Someone mentioned hanging them (Ristra), but I was always afraid the chiles would spoil before they dried, so I always use the dehydrator like you.

Then off to my Ultimate Chopper, lol, I don't know whats so "Ultimate" about it, but it does a good job on dry peppers for sure.

One thing I think you'll like about this, Rich, is that the powder lasts for freaking ever, I am reaching the bottom of a Ziploc bag of habanero powder that I have been using in my cooking for years, I forgot to date the bag (slaps head), but as far as preserving chiles AND saving space, if you have the time and patience, this is the only way to fly.

Just don't rub your eyes unless you like that kind of stuff... I kinda do for some reason. :eek:

MAN... Now you got me wanting to put on a big ol' pot of red beans and use up the rest of that powder! :D

Congrats on your haul this season, my friend...

Crpdeth
  10. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    The only way to grow good peppers here is with a green house.

Witch I get to build this fall on the new job/home.

i've tried for years to grow peppers here, but the season is to short,
    and to cool to produce a good 'hot' pepper.:(
    Hopefully i can accomplish this with the new green house :D
  11. Well, I tried out some of the chili powder I made, and I must say, it turned out quite well indeed. I made up some Coney Island hot dogs for dinner tonight, and the recipe calls for both Cayenne and chili powder. For both I used the stuff I made from my garden. It was just hot enough to be spicy, but not so hot as to be uncomfortable. Turned out to be a very good dinner. ;)
  12. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Ahh, hot peppers. I must admit I've found my "perfect limit," Quaker Steak and Lube's top "hot" wings. 300,000 Scofeld units as I remember. They have an "all you can eat wings buffet" on Thursday nights here, and if it's not on the buffet table you can ask for it from the kitchen. I asked for the Atomic Wings. (or whatever they call the hottest ones.) Quite hot, even for me. Made my eyes burn when they set 'em down in front of me, and my wife's in the seat next to me too. I ate one. That was the limit of comfort for me. I only found out later while watching "Man vs. Food" that I could win a bumper sticker by eating 6 of these. Should have done it.