The Firearms Forum banner

China Model 1911s

Tags
3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Hawg 
#1 ·
Does anyone have one of the Chinese Model 1911 copies ?
Opinions ?

#2 ·
The Chinese Norinco 1911 pistols are super common up here. A cheap gun at $299 for any of their models. You certainly get your monies worth. I have owned a few of them in the past and I can honestly say they are pretty good. The one thing I don't like is the enternal parts. However there are so many cheap parts kits avable that it really doesn't matter.
The things that I do like are the frame , slide and barrel. This Chinese pistol has the exact same specs as the original Colt 1911. And all parts from a Colt are interchangeable . This means that you can build a custom pistol for a lot less money than using an original 1911.

Just my 2 cents.

#3 ·
I own one that was customized by Jim Clark. You see it there in my avatar. As grcsat stated, they are good pistols. I would buy another one in a heart beat.

#5 ·
Excellent pistols and one of the few that Wilson Combat will do custom work on.
I have owned and built several. I'm not crazy about the "Model of 1911-A1" on
the slide but I always made sure everyone saw it after winning a match using it. :)
The finish isn't the best but for the price, who cares ? Any good gunsmith can
add an excellent finish.

#6 ·
Excellent pistols and one of the few that Wilson Combat will do custom work on.
I have owned and built several. I'm not crazy about the "Model of 1911-A1" on
the slide but I always made sure everyone saw it after winning a match using it. :)
The finish isn't the best but for the price, who cares ? Any good gunsmith can
add an excellent finish.
Or do any other kind of work you want. Triggers, porting, feed ramp, sights, just to name a few things.

#8 ·
They're great pistols. Bought one years ago but traded it off in a moment of weakness at some point down the road - figured I could always buy another whenever I wanted. Clinton's import ban put an end to that thought. Spotted a minty one at our LGS not too long ago and it followed me home. This one's a keeper.

#11 ·
Back when Norinco started showing up in the US, it was a concern.
Every gun rag jumped on the band wagon yelling soft steel, soft receivers from the roof tops.
But, none of them bothered to check. I happened to have a friend who is a metallurgist and took a borrowed Norinco 1911( an exact copy of a Colt ) to him along with their copy of the M1A. The steel wasn't soft so I ordered both.
The Chinese don't know much about firearms but you can bet they know specs and those firearms were spot on.
After building the 1911, it sold for $650 ( I paid $249 for it ). I kept the rifle for NRA High Power competition and it was a winner. I sold it a couple of years later to a guy who still competes with it and wins.
Anyone who says those Norinco's are junk is full of it.

#15 ·
At least you guys up north can still get the Norinco 1911s! Back in the early 90s, I think they had all of the current Philippine 1911 clones beat all to pieces...and those are decent bargain 1911s.
As others have said, they're decent starter guns for a build or just run em as is for a bargain shooter.

I never did buy one back when we could get them here in the states, but I know a couple guys that still have em.

#16 · (Edited)
At least you guys up north can still get the Norinco 1911s! Back in the early 90s, I think they had all of the current Philippine 1911 clones beat all to pieces...and those are decent bargain 1911s.
As others have said, they're decent starter guns for a build or just run em as is for a bargain shooter.

I never did buy one back when we could get them here in the states, but I know a couple guys that still have em.
Its a really crappy trade off.
Yes, in Canada you can get most surplus arms dirt cheap and yes we can get anything from China or any where else EXEPT the USA.
Up here on average we pay 20% to 50% more for any thing made in the US. (firearms) or imported from the US. Also certain models of firearms are not sold in the US and are sold here and vise versa.

All this has happened since your big "O" took office and has since treated all Canadians like terrorists.
There are written agreements between Canada and the US in regards to things like ammo.
We are , under agreement, allowed to buy ammo ,primers and reloading equipment. However if we are stopped by Home Land security, they can confiscate the equipment and your ride. Even though both Canada and US customs say you can do it. Last year , Home Land security tryd to confiscate my truck over one box of 22 shells.

I am so sick off being treated like a terrorist by the big "O"

#19 ·
FWIW Norinco steel is 5100 and Colt steel is 4140. The drawback to using 5100 is its harder to machine and a lot of gunsmiths don't like to work on them because it eats up cutters fast. Back in the day when they were still being imported Norinco's were a popular base for custom guns and race guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.