Chinese Brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jpg5324, Apr 30, 2012.

1. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

I am new to the forum, and new to reloading. I have been saving my brass for years, and decided it was time to start reloading. My questions is, I have about 250 Chinese brass casings, are ok to reload???
  2. mikld

mikld Active Member

What cartridge and what does the headstamp say? Where did you get it? Chinese military surplus? Personally, I don't think I would unless I knew more about it...
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Put a magnet to it.
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I find I like certain manufacturers brass for certain calibers. Just with all the garbage junk I have bought and found out made in China; I'd sure hesitate. I started out buying new brass for all but a few old guns I had been saving brass for years from; actually had over 1500 pieces of brass from one 7 mag I've been using most my life. I like norma for my weatherbys, SSA for my AR's, and hornady for most my other hunting guns if that makes any sense, ha ha.
  5. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

The magnet is the first step. I don't think there's such a thing as a brass Chinese cartridge.

Next, look inside. You WILL see 2 flash holes, for a Berdan primer. These are very difficult

to remove, and cannot be replaced by a boxer primer. As you get more adept at this, you'll

take on the habit of always looking for the number of flash holes in any brand of brass that

you aren't familiar with. Berdan is junk. Anything with a boxer primer is worth a try. Also

notice that a lot of .223 brass has crimped primer pockets. That crimp has to be removed

with a chamfering tool before you can insert a new primer.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  6. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

It is Chinese Mil Surplus, 9mm. They do not have Berdan Primers. Good advise, I will have to look into this alot closer......Thanks
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  7. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

9mm brass, as cheap as 9mm brass is, I'd get some other brass. New or once fired. If new, you'd know exactly how many rounds you fire out of it and what gun(s) you fired it out of.
  8. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

I checked last night, was not steel. But I went ahead and crimped, tossed them all.

Thanks Guys
  9. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

I had some Chinese 9mm brass that was for Boxer primers. It looked to be good quality brass cases until I went to reprime them after sizing, and the primers wouldn't stay in the pocket. Some fell out others required a shake to dislodge the primers, none of the primers required any force to remove them. I don't recall what the headstamp was right now, but the whole lot of them went to the scrap bin. They were mixed in some once fired brass that I bought at a gun show

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't