Chinese SKS Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Twist86, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Twist86

Twist86 New Member

Hello, first time poster and I have a bit of a problem. My buddy just got a Chinese SKS (used I am sure and had no manual) and wants to go fire it Saturday and of course I had to see it. He had it dissembled when I got there and I noticed a few things that said "warning" in my head.

(this is not his but a picture off google modified for my non-educated SKS mind)
    [​IMG]

The red arrow is my first question. That top piece of the V sits in a rounded out hole in the rifle. It has 2 pieces of metal stuck up in the chamber where it sits (sort of like it dragged the metal and it left a hole). Is this normal and would it effect the rifle? If he needs to replace it what is the part name and can you replace it?

Blue Arrow = my second question. The release for the ammo cartridge is VERY stiff, is this normal for a Chinese sks? If not how would you fix it without buying a new assembly?

Thank you. Sorry for the lack of technical feedback, I just want to make sure it doesn't cause damage or injury to him.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I would have to say things are of the normal. Some mag latches are stiff and some not. Thats just the spring for the latch. The ? on your red arrow looks fine.Thats normal. I myself and thats just me, but i would put it together and go shoot. You cant hirt an sks.
  3. Twist86

Twist86 New Member

Well that is good to hear, I wasn't sure on the red arrow question as it looks like it just sits in it but if it hit the back it might cause problems. That was the biggest concern since it LOOKS like the damage was caused when someone put the trigger assembly back in.

I am curious what exactly is the feature for that red arrow piece?
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Before he shoots it it should be cleaned thoroughly paying particular attention to the bolt. A good way to get all the cosmolene out of the bolt is to let it soak in a pan or boiling water on the stove. I'd also recommend installing a recoil buffer. They are cheap and easy to install.
  5. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Its a safety for when you have the bold assbly out you can't pull the triger and let the hammer come up.

P.S. Have the mag box open when reassambling the bolt into it. It will make things a bit easer for ya!
  6. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

O and i will welcome you here to the TFF. Sit back read all you can and chime in on stuff. We dont bite that i know of :thumbsup:
  7. Twist86

Twist86 New Member

Well I appreciate the knowledge :) Thanks for the help and I defiantly plan to do some reading and soak some of this knowledge up.

@RunningOnMT
    I will let him know that. Is it just for the model or is it a issue with all weapons? I was told it could lead to bump firing of the weapon, or does it cause another issue?
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Gun nut is spot on. You can assemble that SKS and run it over with your truck and itll still shoot. They literally are almost indestructable.
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

It's the disconnector, it keeps the rifle from going full auto or slam firing the next chambered round if the trigger is held back.
    Instruction manual:
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/sks_instruction_manual.pdf
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

thanks for the imfo i learned something!!:D I knew it had something to do with all that but did not know how to put it right. Thank you TRAPP55
  11. Twist86

Twist86 New Member

Very cool thank you TRAP55. I will send that to him as he never got a manual. Its amazing at how simple this weapon looks to take apart and clean.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    And they are a lot of fun to shoot. The ammo is cheap too!
  13. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

That's how Russians make firearms, simple as an anvil, and just about as durable. Hand it to a farmer and show him how it works, and how to clean it once.
    Take RunningOnMT's advice, get a good recoil buffer (I use BlackJack) and make sure the inside of that bolt is absolutely cosmo free. It can, and will, stick the firing pin in the forward firing position causing a full auto slam fire situation.
    You may think it's cool if it happens, but the rifle wasn't designed for it, 10 rounds in about a half second will take you by surprise, and you won't be able to control it. And that's just the safety aspect of it. A minimum 5yrs in a Fed pen for possession of an unlicensed machinegun, will really ruin your day.:)
    There's probably almost as much aftermarket stuff made for the SKS, as there is for the Ruger 10/22, and about 95% of it is junk. Don't waste your time or money, leave like it is.;)
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Carver should know. that lucky guy has a chinese sks paratrooper carbine. Tiny little thing
  15. Twist86

Twist86 New Member

Doubt that will happen, he is all ready is looking at a "new age" looking stock. I rather like the wood stock it came with though, its like a deep cherry look. Got rained out so no test drives this weekend with it, with luck next weekend we can check it.

I was told that recoil buffers tend to cause a lot of jams and issues with a SKS, was this just a bad maker that polluted the market to lead to so many dislikes of them?