choice of .380

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by guns4life, Jan 30, 2010.

1. guns4life

guns4life New Member

sig 232 or 238 going to buy a .380 and its gnna be a sig just cant decide which need some help
  2. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

This should have been a poll

I like the look of the 238, but living in Cali, I am not allowed to own one
  3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

Well G4L.. if it HAS to be a SIG, and there is nothing wrong with SIG so dont misunderstand.. I would go with the P238. ..when ya look at them together.. They are the same make.. they are the same caliber.. so.... compair looks.... IMHO the P238 is more appealing to the eye than the 232:p

...just my taxed $0.02
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I would choose the P238. I fell in love with them when I first saw them. Hoping that will be my next gun purchase. I just have a little bit of a problem with paying over $500 for a .380!
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

The P238 is single action only (it's just like the old Colt Mustang). It's also a bit smaller than the P232. The P232 is DA/SA, but it is sized more like the Bersa Thunder .380.

If it's for carry, then the P238 is the better choice. If you can comfortably carry something the size of the P232, then you should look at the P239 in 9mm or .40.

But you may have trouble finding a P238 on the shelf somewhere. They're pretty scarce around me.
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    with premium ammo so costly ,i would not buy a 380 at all,20 rounds of decent ammo can cost thirty dollars or so.9mm is much cheaper and more available,also a larger range of bullets available.i have chked for a friend of mine for bulk 380s and most places are on back order.your choice old semperfi
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Why a 380? Just curious.
  8. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I preferred the P230 (older version of the 232) to the p238. I still want to add the 238 to my collection but I want to see a little history on them first.
  9. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

I love the small size and weight of my Kel-tec P3AT. It is honestly on me ALL the time I am out of the house. It is what I wear to work. It looks like a wallet in the front pocket of my kakhi work pants.

Back to your topic, the only reason to have a .380 is for the small size, so, I'd get the smaller of the two mentioned which is the 238. Once the size of the gun goes up, you just as well fire the 9mm or other bigger or more econmical rounds as mentioned.
  10. guns4life

guns4life New Member

after much research with a few other people around less danger of it exiting the intended bad guy or offender and injurying an innocent person especially with self defense loads
  11. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I have a Colt Mustang and I love it. I'd buy the Sig that is most like the Mustang.

Nothing wrong with .380 in a lightweight gun like the Mustang.
  12. drhabeeb

drhabeeb New Member

If you want the easier of the two to carry get the p238. If you want the one that RELIABLY fires EVERY time get the p232.
  13. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

What's wrong with the reliability of the P238? I have one and have had no
    problems with it yet.
  14. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

look at a CZ Rami in 9mm-very nice and choice of cocked and locked or hammer down
  15. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

If I am spending that much money I am buying a 40 or 45 caliber gun. If you are simply hung up on the Sig which is a good gun, then the 238 I think would be a better choice. If I am looking at a 380, I would look at Ruger, Bersa, Taurus, and several other options simply due to price/value. Also keep in mind that 380 is some of the most expensive and hard to find ammo.