Choosing a 3" 1911 for carry

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by White Hawk, Jan 7, 2007.

1. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

I was at my local gun shop recently with a couple of co-workers (fun lunch break). One of them is like me, considering a 3" 1911 for carrying in the small of the back. On one shelf was this Springfield Armory G.I. in olive drab for $570 with a holster. The shelf above held a Kimber Ultra CDP II for about $300 more.

My buddy said "I can talk my wife into letting me buy the Springfield. You're single and don't have any kids, so you buy the Kimber." :D

I've shot one Kimber, a 5" Tactical Custom II, and it was very nice. But I've never shot any of the Springfields. Those of you who have shot both, where would you put your money?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Springfield 1911's are great and they are affordable
    On the same note the make the EMP the worlds smallest 1911 unfortunetly they are only available in 9mm
  3. cec

cec New Member

It's a tough choice, both are very good firearms. You will not make a mistake with either one.

It really comes down to how much you are willing to spend. The Kimber usually has more bells and whistles out of the box, but you can easily modify the Springfield.

I would say go with the old stand-by of see which feels better in your hand.

For example, I was faced with this choice when looking at a 4" model. The used Kimber and the new Springfield were the same price. I found that the Kimber felt better in my hand. However, if the Kimber had not been in the shop, I would have bought the Springfield without hesitation.

I know this isn't the straight answer, but with firearms there is rarely such a thing.
  4. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

It is a tough choice. You can't go wrong with either one. I have owned
    both. I decide by price for the options I want. Springfield has the better prices for comparable features.
    If buying new, I would go with a Springfield probably.
    If I can find a good used Kimber near that price, I would probably
    go with it. If I understand that the Ultra CDP was $870, that is a pretty
    good price depending on condition. It is a custom shop gun and they
    run around $1100 new.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  5. Kardar2

Kardar2 Guest

I have both of them my self And I love them both. I bought the kimber for my ccw. Like the other folk said you can't go wrong with either of them
  6. Best possible solution: Buy a Glock! :D ;) :p
  7. sorral

sorral New Member

I have only shot both in the 5 inch barrol, but when I did , I couldnt tell the difference in accuracy. I did like the fact that my springfield cost about $200 less than my buddy's Kimber
  8. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

Here's an update:

Yesterday, my buddy called the store and was told his Ruger's repairs were done, so off we went for another lunch adventure. The Kimber had been sold, but an identical new one had come in at $1150. My buddy makes one last joke about me being able to afford the Kimber because I'm single, one more call to his wife to make sure it'll be safe for him to come home with a new gun, and starts the paperwork.

So did I get the Kimber? No. I looked at the 4" and 5" Springfields that were in stock, tried a couple of 3" Kimbers, and a .380 Sig P232. Didn't buy a thing... yet. Part of the decision will also come down to what's available in holsters. But that's a whole 'nother thread...

Can't wait for the next day we'll both be at the range. He thinks my Sig P220 SAS is a cannon, wait'll he fires a 3" 1911!!!
  9. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

i have shot a kimber cdp 3" and it is a nice pistol. i have also owned the kimber tactical ultra II 3" and it was also a nice pistol. now if you want to talk recoil in a small pistol shoot my wifes s&w 642-2 bodyguard aluminum frame revolver with 38+p's. the pistol weighs 15oz's empty. you couldn't go wrong with the kimber. the only one better in my book would be a wilson combat but that's another story.
    bhk308
  10. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

His 3" 1911 isn't a cannon.

It's a Howitzer.
  11. smallblock

smallblock New Member

that's what I have carried for about 2 yrs now , and I just love it. CDPII 3":)
  12. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I also have a Kimber 3". Just remember to keep the recoil spring changed often.