Choosing a new handgun?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by CampingJosh, Dec 30, 2010.

?

Which factor is most important as you make a handgun purchase decision?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2011.
  1. Feel in your hand (ergonomics)

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  2. Size/weight/appearance (physical characteristics)

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Reviews/referrals/company reputation

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Style (revolver vs. auto) & cartridge

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

1) Feel in your hand (ergonomics)
    Most important to me. It could be a great pistol but just doesn't work for me (Glock :( wish they did).

3) Price & value
    I have all of the firearm that I need. The only thing left if to find interesting firearms. I normally don't have a list of what I'm looking for but just whatever peaks my interest.

5) Style (revolver vs. auto) & cartridge
    Falls back on the fact that I have what I need and now I'm just looking for firearms of interest. Purchasing a lot of older revolvers right now. They are pretty much range toys but I enjoy shooting them.

2) Size/weight/appearance (physical characteristics)
    These don't matter much.

4) Reviews/referrals/company reputation
    Depends on who the review is from. I have a couple sources that I trust but normally just rely on myself.
  2. Pro-Gun"Liberal"

Pro-Gun"Liberal" New Member

I read something interesting the other day in Shotgun News. It was an article about how revolvers are "expert's" guns and are a poor choice for beginners. Now, I had always been told the opposite, and believed, as you do, that revolvers are simpler to use, even though I prefer autos. And this article really changed my mind on this. I knew I liked autos better, but I never thought about why. The writer explains in the piece that because of the double action nature of revolvers, and the tendency to "milk" them, a locked and loaded auto is going to prove to be much easier for the average person to keep on target in stressful situations. This makes perfect sense. And it highlights why I don't like revolvers as much as autos... or any DA-only weapon, for that matter. If you have an auto with the safety engaged and one in the spout, it takes only a little practice to draw the weapon, disengage the safety, and start putting down fairly accurate fire. A revolver may be a simpler tool, but the actual function takes a higher degree of precision in trigger pull to create accurate fire, particularly under stress.
  3. Gun Gal 53

Gun Gal 53 New Member

Ergonomics.....if it doesn't feel good, you will not want to shoot it and to me even though I am a girl...weight. I hate the little hand stingers. I have a Springfield 9mm and being older I do not have the stregth to hold my arm firm after the shot. I do not want to be ending up with my hand moving 3 feet north each time I fire. The weight of the gun is nice to rip off several rounds quickly. So that kinda leads to caleber too....357, 40 or so .... is nice. I rather wait to purchase the guns I want if I can not get it today. I have a few and can wait for my next on because it will be one I will like shooting.
  4. 1911 man

1911 man New Member