choosing new "baby" friday at cmp south

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hkruss, Oct 7, 2008.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Going to cmp south friday! Buying my first Garand!!! I don't get excited about much, but I am like a kid at Christmas right now! I was going to buy one back in May but I talked myself out of it. I finally decided, if I wait 'till I can 'afford' it, I will never have it. (kind of like deciding to have kids ,huh?). Any suggestions on what to pick will be appreciated!
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

HK - I went about this time last year and got myself one. I picked a "woodless dane" and added wood to it later. I had already bought a garand, a 1903 Springfield, and a P17 by mail before that.

I am sure that you will find the perfect one once you get there. The employees will help you guage them and pick out a good one.

Let us know what you picked out when you get home
  3. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Very cool I got my garand from the CMP also... be sure to give us feedback on the visit and pics of what you leave with.
  4. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    If you want a good shooter more than a collector, don't worry to much about the finish of the stock. Make sure the muzzle crown doesn't have any burrs or major dents. The main thing about the barrel that will affect accuracy, other than the crown, is erosion in the chamber throat, so check that if you can. Don't worry too much about a dark bore either. Shiny and clean is better, but, as long as it isn't pitted or scratched, I've seen M1903's and M1's that had almost black bores but were still great shooters.

If you can look at the inside, check the operating rod for any bends. Last, just make sure that the sight adjustment knobs are tight but free moving and the receiver isn't loose in the stock.

As far as a manufacturer, I would personally pick anything but a Springfield, just because i already have one. I do have a preference for H&R and International Harvester; but that's just me.

Have fun and enjoy. Let us know how it works.
  5. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

Try moving the front sight/gas tube side to side to see if it has play in the barrel splines.
    Watch out for M-1 thumb
  6. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Thanks for the advice!