1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Christmas List

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 45Smashemflat, Nov 17, 2003.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

OK, its coming up Christmas time and certainly time for dropping hints. I am contemplating a reloader for Christmas. I do some shotshell reloading - but no rifle or pistol stuff. I would be reloading for 45ACP, 45/70, and 308 mainly. Perhaps a bit of 223 and 44mag.

What does the board think? Progressive? If so, whose? What's the best for a beginner?
  2. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

if you intend to load for that many calibers it might be best not to get a progressive press

i use a lee pro 1000 progressive press and it works great, it took awhile to get used to it at first. its a bit of a pain to replace the shell plate carrier for different calibers though
  3. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

When I started, I bought a Hornady single stage press. Two hours after I bought it, I wished I had bought a progressive.

So, I got the Hornady Progressive Press, and yet again, two hours later I wish I didn't. It was a pain in the ass to use. Though, I'm not sure how the Hornady Progressive Press is today, but I don't need to know.

Buy a Dillon. That's what a friend of mine did, and I always go over to his house to reload my ammo. That thing is just fantastic. I forget what model he has, sorry, but I'm sure it was not the cheapest one Dillon sells.

Go to www.bluepress.com to request a catalog.
  4. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

yeah i felt the same i wanted a different press after a couple hours, but i stuck with it and i now love the lee 1000
  5. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

I like single stage presses for shotgun.
    for bullets I would'nt mind it, yeah its slow *shrug* but at least I am doing something other than just putting shells there.
  6. shooter22

shooter22 Guest

I would go with the single Hornady Lock-n-Load press for the rifle if shooting benchrest and hunting. or Get the Hornady Lock-n-Load auto progressive for them all. It can be used as a single operation as well as a progressive. The new Lock-n-Load is a joy to use.
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I used single stage presses for years, starting in '48. A couple of years ago, I got daring and got the Dillon 500. This is their turret press and can be upgraded to a progressive later. I am pleased and impressed. I can load about 100/hour with a powder thrower without having to concentrate so hard I get a headache. With two of us working the bench, we can get that up to about 150+/hr. Loading bigbore, I weigh every charge, so production drops to about 50/hr.

Pops
  8. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

For Christmas I have been dropping mig welder hints :D
    Lincoln electric sells a very good model at home depot.
    My friend Dervon is a salesmen for distributors for lincoln electric. I have used the particular model quite extensively at their "lab" and really like it. I also had a chance to use some of thier self powered big dogs, :D
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2003