Christmas List

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 45Smashemflat, Nov 17, 2003.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

OK, its coming up Christmas time and certainly time for dropping hints. I am contemplating a reloader for Christmas. I do some shotshell reloading - but no rifle or pistol stuff. I would be reloading for 45ACP, 45/70, and 308 mainly. Perhaps a bit of 223 and 44mag.

What does the board think? Progressive? If so, whose? What's the best for a beginner?
  2. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

if you intend to load for that many calibers it might be best not to get a progressive press

i use a lee pro 1000 progressive press and it works great, it took awhile to get used to it at first. its a bit of a pain to replace the shell plate carrier for different calibers though
  3. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

When I started, I bought a Hornady single stage press. Two hours after I bought it, I wished I had bought a progressive.

So, I got the Hornady Progressive Press, and yet again, two hours later I wish I didn't. It was a pain in the ass to use. Though, I'm not sure how the Hornady Progressive Press is today, but I don't need to know.

Buy a Dillon. That's what a friend of mine did, and I always go over to his house to reload my ammo. That thing is just fantastic. I forget what model he has, sorry, but I'm sure it was not the cheapest one Dillon sells.

Go to www.bluepress.com to request a catalog.
  4. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

yeah i felt the same i wanted a different press after a couple hours, but i stuck with it and i now love the lee 1000
  5. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

I like single stage presses for shotgun.
    for bullets I would'nt mind it, yeah its slow *shrug* but at least I am doing something other than just putting shells there.
  6. shooter22

shooter22 Guest

I would go with the single Hornady Lock-n-Load press for the rifle if shooting benchrest and hunting. or Get the Hornady Lock-n-Load auto progressive for them all. It can be used as a single operation as well as a progressive. The new Lock-n-Load is a joy to use.
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I used single stage presses for years, starting in '48. A couple of years ago, I got daring and got the Dillon 500. This is their turret press and can be upgraded to a progressive later. I am pleased and impressed. I can load about 100/hour with a powder thrower without having to concentrate so hard I get a headache. With two of us working the bench, we can get that up to about 150+/hr. Loading bigbore, I weigh every charge, so production drops to about 50/hr.

Pops
  8. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

For Christmas I have been dropping mig welder hints :D
    Lincoln electric sells a very good model at home depot.
    My friend Dervon is a salesmen for distributors for lincoln electric. I have used the particular model quite extensively at their "lab" and really like it. I also had a chance to use some of thier self powered big dogs, :D
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2003