Christmas present for a bloke

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jack404, Dec 21, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a bloke here who lost he job when a another big company bought his employers out and tossed all the local staff and started offshoring all the work ..

he got another job and its a fair hike each day but his old truck and the price of fuel for such a long drive every day , is chewing him up

so we are gonna convert his F150 to a LP Gas system

should cut his costs by 2/3rds

we got the gas equipment out of 3 smashed taxi's , the taxi stuff is the best and another mate who now runs a wreckers supply yard has collected all we need but the collar to take the gas

the pic , part of my contribution, a new custom made collar bored to 75 instead of the original 60 ( more air is needed for LPG )

this should get him back working on the cheap , between Christmas and the new year we'll spend 3 days and install and test it all ...

it all dont have to be flashy gifts or nintendo's , just helping your neighbours out is fine i think ..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Nice work Jack.
  3. Juker

Juker New Member

Well done, my brother, and a fine idea!
  4. rosierita

rosierita New Member

i think that is awesome! a really GREAT gift. :thumbsup:
  5. Stonebridge

Stonebridge New Member

right on! very cool Jack
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Outstanding, oh self-gridded one!!
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Is LP that much cheaper down there, or will the truck get better mileage?

'Cause around here, a 25 pound bottle, which is around 5 gallons, is 20 bucks. That's 4 dollars a gallon. Right now gasoline is down to 3.01, so that wouldn't be a real giant savings, for me.
  8. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

This is what CHRISTMAS is all about....or at least should be :mad:
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Sounds like a decent thing to do Jack. Nice present...at least it's something useful. :)
    I know several folks over on the street-rodding and other old car forums from down there that also run propane conversions.
    I've never asked about the economics down there but like Alpo I'm curious too if the difference pans out.
    I know it still does up here in the upper midwest but you seldom see the newer OBD2 vehicles with propane conversions, but there are still a few of the older carbed vehicles that are converted...mostly farm trucks/pickups.
    At one point in time a couple years back the break-even difference was $3.25. If gas was under 3.25/gal then it'll pan out cheaper than propane. But both prices fluctuate around so much that you really need to calculate current figures.

BTW Alpo, propane weighs in at 6.76lb per gallon so in a standard 20lb portable tank you've got 2.96 gallons in a #20.
    The last time I filled my 20s about a month ago, it was $16 plus change to fill a 20lb tank that was bone-dry. My cost was about 0.80 per lb or as billed on the receipt $5.48/gal. This is for farm fuel...no road tax included.

But if it's for a on-road vehicle you do need to pay road tax just like you do with gas, diesel, etc. I'm not sure what the figure is at the moment.

There is less energy in propane than gas but unless you're driving a grossly-underpowered vehicle you most likely won't notice the difference.

My uncle ran propane conversion in his farm pickups (4x4, 1/2 and 3/4 tonners) for several years but I don't remember the exact mileage he was getting with them anymore.
    I do remember helping do oil changes on em and the oil would come out nearly clean as when it went in. Propane is a much cleaner burning fuel so there are fewer combustion by-products to crud up the engine.
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I just noticed this part of your post. At least you're doing the conversion right!
    Some guys would just stick propane on the stock system and complain about it not working right and no power.
    Kinda like running E85 in an engine tuned for gasoline...it doesn't work properly without mods. But I probably shouldn't have dragged that subject up.
  11. Grizz

Grizz Member

That's really nice your taking the time to help him out and doing the job Right Helping out a friend is always better than just giving an item to someone for christmas.
  12. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

what's the price of gas/fuel down in Australia for a gallon/liter?
    Here in South Dakota (middle of country) we run about $3.19 a gallon.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

petrol ( gasoline ) is $1.68 a litre ( unleaded) more for the higher octane ones ($ 6:30 a gallon)

LPG is 57 cents a litre and why the switch over ($2.10 a gallon)
  14. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

WTG, Jack.
  15. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Jack I think your missing a part for the conversion. My dad use to do these conversions. He's been gone many years now. But I remembered he converted all types of engines back then. Riding mowers farm tractors a model T forklifts trucks of all sizes and cars. If my memory serves me there is a regulator/pump( for the lack of knowing the real name) that goes on the fuel line between the tank and the carburation system. The ones he converted started on Gasoline, then you switched to propane after it started. Gasoline starts better in colder tempatures.

I'm amazed at the price difference there for the 2 different fuels
  16. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

we dont have the cold start issues here that you folks have there , and aerostart or startyabastard

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Aerosols/Start_Ya_Bastard_Instant_Engine_Starter/#.TvJYuTVzXa8

( both branded products here ) help out if it has been freezing or such

the higher up and broader throat allowing more air in allows for easier combustion too

the 1 thing we do use here is a oil dripper ( a oil feed line that only allows a very small ammount of oil in) propane or LPG gas is a dry fuel and this has to be factored for ,

by allowing a drop of oil in every 160 rotations of the motor you introduce enough lubrication into the system to counter for the dry fuel like propane ..

but thats a standardised part here ( and got off a taxi) i just gotta re bend the feed tube for this block , drill and tap the hole and insert the feed head and attach the line at the back , 1 litre of oil will lube enough for 4-6 tanks of gas ( 110 litres of propane per tank ) but i gotta mount it all up before bending anything soo .. that'll get done on the day
  17. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

only hassle with a Christmas present like this is it's not really a surprise

ya gotta get the folks ya doing it for onside ,

the surprise part comes when they bring their car over , and see 15 blokes there and their ladies helping out , a BBQ and its all set to rock and roll ;)

thats when the surprise part comes in ;)

the gent himself is just a average bloke , not part of my church or like that , not a veteran , just a neighbour , he is in the Rural Fire Service http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/, if theres a alert he's there, if someone needs a hand , they can call him , he'll rock up ... ,

works hard raised a good bunch of kids , poorly Mrs sadly, suffers from asthma badly

a decent guy , so a few folks have had a chat and put this together , its a bit last minute but thats ok too ..

theres about 35 folks in on this so far

but this is how things where done when i was a lad , and i think there should be more of it , somethings and ways, well they where way better the old way eh ..
  18. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

That is a GREAT Christmas present. This is what Christmas spirit is about.
    Years ago I had an old TO-30 Ferguson tractor that ran on propane. Oil was as clean when changed as when originally put in. Power was good but a real bear to start. I would have to loosen distributor and retard timing, crank tractor and then advance timing after if started. One extremely cold morning the regulator froze and when I shut motor down it kept sending propane into engine thru open valves and out tailpipe. Had to pour hot water over regulator to stop it.
  19. ozo

ozo Active Member

GOD bless you Viejo !!:thumbsup::bow:
    Merry Christmas to you and your friends Jack.
  20. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

Jack Super present, all of the folks coming togeather to help out.