Chrome H&R Topper 410 ga

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 9 fingers, Sep 1, 2009.

1. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

HI, I recently picked up a Topper with chrome, at least I think its chrome, receiver and black painted stocks. condition of the chrome and bluing is 95 % plus and the wood has some nicks showing the wood. I am assuming the wood is birch and think I will refinish in a deep red/walnut that I like. But my question deals with the chrome. What is the best way to treat it so that the gun will stay in great condition? Do you treat it just like blued metal or is there a better way? Silicone, REM oil? Any suggestions? Also, what are these things worth in great condition?
    Thanks,
  2. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

More likely, nickel plated than chromed. Just treat it like blued metal,light coat of oil
  3. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

Thanks Anchor Clanker. It is VERY polished if nickel but you may be right. It is not like the standard nickel plated models I have seen. It is a Deluxe 188, I think. I am on vacation and it is not with me.
    9 fingers
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the frame finish is Chrome.

MODEL 188 TOPPER DELUXE------------------------------------1957-1958
    Deluxe Version of the Model 148, Single Barrel, Top Lever Break Open Action, Rebounding Hammer, Self-Adjusting Barrel Latch, Auto-Ejector, Three Piece Take Down (Snap On Forearm), 410 Bore Only (3 inch chamber), Barrel Lengths 28 inches Choked Full, Finish Blue Barrel, Chrome Frame, Pistol Griped Black Lacquered Butt-Stock & Semi Beaver-Tail Forearm, Ventilated Rubber recoil Pad, Butt-Stock Length of Pull 13½ inches, Drop: at Comb 1¾ inches at Heel 2½ inches, Overall Lengths 43.
    VALUE: 100%=$175 60%=$75

MODEL 188A TOPPER DELUXE------------------------------------1958-1961
    Deluxe Version of the Model 148A, Single Barrel, Side Lever Break Open Action (Patent No. 2,876,576), Rebounding Hammer, Self-Adjusting Barrel Latch, Auto-Ejector, Three Piece Take Down (Snap On Forearm), 410 Bore (3 inch chamber), Barrel Lengths 28 inches Choked Full, Finish Blue Barrel, Chrome Frame, Pistol Griped Multi-Colored Lacquered Butt-Stock & Semi Beaver-Tail Forearm, Ventilated Rubber Recoil Pad, Butt-Stock Length of Pull 13 ½ inches, Drop: at Comb 1¾ inches at Heel 2½ inches, Overall Lengths 43 inches.
    VALUE: 100%=$180 60%=$75

bill
  5. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

Bill, you must be aheck of a nice guy to take the time to hlp out your fellow firearms collectors so often. I think I should only buy Iver Johnsons or Toppers just so I will be able to find out everything I can about them from one source! Thanks! Will I be degrading the value much if I redo it in a Mahogany type aniline dye and 6 or 7 coats of lovingly applied Tru Oil? The 5 or 6 nicks from cabinet storage bother me and I am not in love with the black paint.
    9 fingers
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i really think it is going t be a very very long time before this model is going to be considered collectible. i doubt refinishing the stock will hurt and may ever help value. be aware that under the ebony paint the stock is most likely birch.
    bill