Chrono-How Far??

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zant, Oct 25, 2012.

1. zant

zant Member

We were sitting around having some brewskis last night,solving the world's problems,when one of the guys pops up with-_"How far to you put your chrono from muzzle"-5 people 4 answers-we all agreed on 5ft on .22-then the fun began-7--12--15(mine)--21ft.........Is their a definite foot from muzzle???We are all using various Chronys and 1 has a Oehler too.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

10 ft for everything..
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

15 feet for me. I have found many of my Magnum calibers can cause the Chrony to be in error if less than 15ft. 15ft and I have no issues with everything I shoot.YMMV
  4. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

What the distance the manual that came with the chrono states is the correct distance: 10-feet.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

10 foot down under

if your getting foreblast issues ( powder burning past the projectile and leaving the muzzle and screwing up the crony readings) you need a rethink on the projectile size

or what powder your using ..
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Good advice. Mine is an F-1, this is what the manual says.

Distance of Chrony unit from muzzle: Air gun, .22 Rim fire => 3FT; Bow & Arrow =>4FT; Shot gun =>5FT; .30-30=>8FT; Large rifle=>10FT to 15FT; the bigger blast, the longer distance.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I've got an 18' cable on my Shooting Chrony, and the manual says to set it up 15' from the muzzle. That's where I set mine up regardless of what caliber I running across it.

I do remember the old Oehler manual had assorted differences listed too. IIRC, these are minimum recommended distances to keep the screens away from the muzzle blast.
  8. dammitman

dammitman Member

i also like to check the projectile speed downrange to see how much loss there is at 100, 200, 300 and 500 yards. gotta pile of units with holes in them

(dont believe everything posted on the internet)
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  9. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

7 mag, 30-378, ect sends error at 17 feet on mine. You have to make a blast board, 2 foot square board with 2 inch hole in center. Line up board at about 10 foot so when you shoot from bench, bullet goes through 2 inch hole on it's way to target. Not that hard to do. We have shot hundreds of times and nobody has not made it through the hole yet hit the board, but I figure one of the Indians will eventually do it. Plexiglass works better, but plywood is cheaper.

Owner of CED told me to do this and it worked for me.
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

mine said something like 7' for pistol, 12' for rifle and 15' for shotgun?

shotgun is the trickiest, gotta run that sucker accross the chrony before the shot and wad start separating or shot spread. All the while staying far enough to not blow up your chrony.

I should put a string on mine to measure accurately.

Would be fun to build a steel plate with a hole so you could test it at longer range without blowing up the chrony
  11. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Here's what works for me.

[​IMG]
  12. al45lc

al45lc New Member

I do 10 ft.
    I once mentioned this to a another reloader who then stated that it was because the bullet was still accelerating! I always suspected he was a dufus.
  13. BobMcG

BobMcG Active Member Supporting Member

I use 15' for high powered rifles.
  14. Texxut

Texxut Member

I set up at 15' for everything. The most of the problems I encounter, are from the sky conditions. Diffusers help that.