The Firearms Forum banner

Chronograph Recommendation

3K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  BlackEagle 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a Chrony F-1 chronograph a month or two ago and the dang thing was trying to tell me WWB .45 acp was in the 400's fps. and my reloads were in the 800's and 900's (which is what I expected on the reloads). I asked the dealer at my LGS (in Ace Hardware) and he said it was just the cheap WWB ammo I was getting from Wally World. So I took it out a second time and this time it was again reading in the 300's and 400's fps. With the occational few reading at 3000+ fps. :eek: and my reloads were reading from 500 - 900 fps.

Obviously the chrono is to blame, and I'm going to try to return it tomorrow. What I'm wondering is if you guys can recommend a reliable, easy to use, economical chrono? I really didn't like the erector-set feel of the Chrony F-1. The bonnets are each 3 pieces that snap together and each support rod is two pieces. More than once I've had the whole thing 'blow up' on me and fling rods and bonnets all over the place.

I don't much care to get too fancy, I just want something that isn't a PITA to haul to the range and set up, and is reliable.

#2 ·
RCBS has a good one, but I'm suprised you're having problems with your F-1. Chrony makes a great reliable product; this one must have just been a very rare dud. Where did you buy it from?

#4 ·
#5 ·
I use an Oehler 35P and recommend it highly. It does take a few minutes to set up at the range but you can be confident with your results as the it uses three sky screens, one being a check for the other two. It does cost a bit more than some but it is used in many police agency labs and has been the standard for quite some time. It is now again avaliable.

#7 ·
I've had very good luck with the Shootin Chrony brand.
I've used a friend's F-1 before and have had an Alpha for several years and replaced it with a Beta Master after it decided to play catch with a bullet.

I'd guess you've got a lighting issue where you're shooting, but it is possible that there is a problem with the photocells too. Contact them and I'm sure they will make things right with your unit. They have a very friendly customer service department the couple times that I've called them.

Otherwise, PACT makes several very good models. The 1XP is the cheapest...about the same price as the RCBS.
All of the PACT units uses the same style remote skyscreens as Oehler, so you can have the head unit on your shooting bench where you can get at the buttons.

I have used an antique Oehler 33 before too and it was tops.
If you want to spend a bit more for a good chrony, the 35P is an excellent unit.

In fact you can use Oehler screens with any of the PACT units and vice versa.

Something else to keep in mind when you're shopping...
Once you've tried a remote display, you quickly get spoiled to having it right at your fingertips instead of across the firing line.
If you're at home, it's not a problem but if on a public range it comes in real handy not having to wait between relays to go fiddle with your chrony.

#8 ·
Any chronograph that uses photocells for triggers can have "problems" triggering correctly. A common problem is the sky above the unit. Since it uses the sky as a backdrop, clouds and other thing like swaying tree branches or shadows can screw it up. Then there is the concussion of the firing of the cartridge. Sometimes the environment you are shooting in reflects it back and screws up the triggering. Sometime getting the chronograph too close to the gun can cause the concussion to mess up the reading.

I suggest you drag out the instruction and follow them exactly as to setting up the chronograph. It may be you and not the chronograph. These Chrony brand units have been around for decades and have a very good record. There biggest problem is that shooters miss the hole and shoot the chronograph but they have a very liberal replacement plan.

LDBennett

#10 ·
#11 ·
Chrony makes good stuff....Id get one of their tech's on line and see if he may help...

When I first got my PACT I was getting bizzare velocity readouts...Called the company on cell from the range and we tried a few different things....
Turned out that it was 'operator error' :eek::eek::eek: and nothing to do with the machine...

#12 ·
I just read an article where the only way the author could get his chronograph to see his bullets of choice was to coat the bullets with a red marking pen. I am not suggesting you do this but only that chronographing is not necessarily as easy as it may seem. The environment, the lighting, and other things can impact the chronograph's ability to "see" the bullet. Some experimentation in you particular case MAY be required (??).

LDBennett

#13 ·
I've been using that chrony for many years. A good machine. The advice you've received is all good. I'll add mine. Whenever I'm going to use the crony, I always take a .22 with me. I test my setup with the .22 and if it sees the tiny bullet, it'll usually see whatever else I'm testing. 22s are cheap and I don't waste my test ammo getting setup. I then clear the machine and get to testing.

#15 · (Edited)
I just read an article where the only way the author could get his chronograph to see his bullets of choice was to coat the bullets with a red marking pen. I am not suggesting you do this but only that chronographing is not necessarily as easy as it may seem. The environment, the lighting, and other things can impact the chronograph's ability to "see" the bullet. Some experimentation in you particular case MAY be required (??).

LDBennett
I too remember reading American Rifleman and G&A articles back in the early 80s (the Oehler 33 days) that suggested using a black marker to color the bullets for contrast to the sky/diffuser.
I've never done that myself but you did mention a good point LD.

I have taped a white plastic grocery bag over the top of the entire skyscreen area a few times to help eliminate shadows. Had to eliminate a few funky shadows on partly cloudly days. Pretty sure that would work on an indoor range with multiple lights.
And speaking of lights...flourescent, mercury/sodium vapor, or metal-halide lights royally mess with the screens too. Too much flickering from the lights.

#16 ·
I hope no one thought I was bashing Chrony or anything they make. I was just having issues with THIS unit. Or maybe it was with the operator, however the instructions were poor IMO, and didn't say anything about how far to shoot from etc.

The chrono not seeing the bullets makes some since. The WWB that I was having so much trouble reading was nice shiny FMJ, where as the reloads that it was reading more in the range I expected were lead.

Oh well, it has been returned for a couple of days now and I'm waiting for the RCBS one I ordered to arrive. I think it will be a much more sturdy unit.

#18 ·
You would want to be at least 10 feet away from the unit. Muzzel blast can cause problems. If the gun is bigger like a 44 mag maybe 15 feet. Good luck. They are really good units tho sorry your having problems
Really? The instructions included an ad for a pistol rest that dang near puts the muzzle in the chronology. I was shooting with the muzzle 1-2 feet behind the unit.

#23 ·
As for seeing the bullet my chronograph has a translucent screen on the top of the triangular supports above the unit's sensors. It eliminates the effect of passing clouds, shadows, and gives the bullet the maximum chance of being detected by the unit.

Jesse17, your problem was that you were WAY!!!!!! to close. Read the instruction on your new RCBS unit thoroughly before you use it so you will not be erroneously disappointed again.

LDBennett

#24 ·
The OEHLER 35P is the best , but getting one is a problem. I highly recommend the MILLENIUM from competition edge dynamics. Look it up at Midway. They are great because you can lengthen the window of measurement, thereby making the readings more accurate. A 1% + or - reading from a 3000 FPS standard is a range of 60 FPS. .5% would be 30FPS . The longer you can make the window, the more accurate your readings will be. Since deviation is the real enemy to the accuracy of the ammunition, the more you can eliminate an incorrect or inaccurate reading, the better. Just as precisely weighing all the powder charges will improve their accuracy.

#25 ·
Ordered that CED from Midway yesterday. Only got the base unit for $199, will look around for tripod as the $44 one they sell at Midway is a cheap one too. CED makes a heavy duty tripod for $88.

I only shoot from April through September, when it's sunny and ain't raining; not once there's 5 foot of snow on the ground. I really needed a chrono for my backporch bench. What else should I look at ordering for this unit?

#26 ·
I recommend getting the longest base available. I think they offer a four foot and an eight foot base or rail- whatever they call it. You will probably want to support the rail from both ends. Looking at your shooting bench, i think it would be feesable to put in a couple of permanent support posts- that way, the distance from the barrel is always the same, and the unit wouldn't be affected by wind. That would simplify setup, as well. When you get the unit, I'm sure that it will come with a book full of optional products. The ced that I have is excellent, even though it's several years old now. I really love it. ....Alaska ?? Maybe I'll come visit you some day ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.