Chrony

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbach, Sep 11, 2011.

1. dbach

dbach Member

I'm a bit embarrased to admit this but ..... I bought a new Chronograph. the Chrony F1. I took it out today to break it in. I put 70 shots thru the rods (the aluminum rods that hold the difusers up). Shot number 71 didn't go so well. I hit the rod on the left with a S&W .40. The rod flew off to who knows where and the tripod fell over. I picked the thing up fearing the worse , but it looks like its going to be fine. I just need to pick some new rods up.

Has anyone else ever done that? I was very aware of the bullets path, I guess I just got complacent.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have shot mine 3 times. all my rods are gone or bent and the diffusers are cracked. I just try to use it on cloudy days. or tape a white cutting board over it.

One time I hit it with a .44 mag and thot it was gone, but it still works.. :)
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

An old wise man at the range told me to go get wooden dowels before that happens, its very common actually. Good on ya for admitting your experiences (mistakes) so they can be learned from!
  4. The Duke

The Duke New Member

If you use a chrony very often, its not a matter of "IF" but "WHEN"...:) I bought a spare set when I purchased the thing...You should be able to use it though as the rods only provide support for the shade screen...Provided that yours works like mine and I have a Pact.. A wooden dowl or something like that should work to hold your screen in place until you get a replacement...Almost everyone I know that owns a chrony has popped the screen at least once.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  5. dbennett48

dbennett48 New Member

I killed a friend's crony about 15 years ago. I still feel stupid for doing it.

Dave
  6. res45

res45 Member

Just go to your local WallyWorld and pick up a pack of 12" bamboo skewers,a pack of 50 to 100 only cost about $3. Use as is or piece them together to make the length you need to replace the steel rods.

Made some body armor for my chrono from some scrap steel.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the bamboo skewers is a great idea. Thanks res!
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My chrony is so old that it has cardboard "cutouts" and plastic pieces as defusers. The cardboard cutouts do have a few extra holes in them!
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Great tip on the bamboo skewers, and I like that shield! I'm gonna whip one of those up the next time I dig around on the scrap pile down at the farm.

I've been scared of putting a round through the body of my Chrony ever since I bought it.
  10. Archie

Archie Member

While testing a .35 Whelen rifle, I not only shot a support rod, but I found one end of the rod, twisted into a hook shape, imbedded in the target.

Couldn't do that again if I worked at it.

Shot that Chrony as well. The bullet strike wasn't very far from the top edge. Far enough, as it turns out.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Never owned one, and never shot over one. There is a guy down the road from me that makes custom bullets, http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/FFLDealers/FFLDealerDetails.aspx?sid=57162 I took some of my hand loads down there once, and he shot them for me. I was loading 240gr Hornady XTP's to 1250fps, acording to the book. Acording to his crony I was right on the money with a velocity spread of only a few fps.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I had a guy at work bring me a cylinder full of .44 mags he had reloaded with 300 gr XTPs and H110. He said they were starting loads and he wanted to know what they were running. His S&W 29 has a 6" barrel and my ruger SBH had a 7.5 so i said id just run them thru mine and see, and he could sub 50 fps or so for the barrel length diff. Those mofos were running 1400 fps from my 7.5 and they freakin hurt to shoot. I fired 2 of them and returned the rest and told him to pull them and double check his powder charges. HE was using the LEE dippers and was using one that was a half CC too big for that combo. I told him to get a scale and a powder measure before he killed himself..
  13. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

I learned the hard way that a chrony will not stand up to a direct hit from a 45/70 the rods were ok, but the body was a wreck.