Church Shooter Had Arsenal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by artabr, Mar 11, 2009.

1. artabr

artabr New Member

Well it looks like the firearms experts in the press are at it again.
    It seems that 2 shotguns, a rifle and a bulk box of .22's constitutes an arsenal. :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hell, now I feel good. By their thinking (pun intended) I must have 3 or 4 arsenals. :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090311/ap_on_re_us/church_shooting

Church shooting suspect had arsenal in bedroom

Associated Press Writer Jim Suhr, Associated Press Writer – Wed Mar 11, 5:01 am ET AP – ST. LOUIS –

A man accused of running down and shooting an Illinois pastor to death mid-sermon left an arsenal of guns in his bedroom as well as an index card marked "Last Day Will."

The arsenal in accused gunman Terry Sedlacek's room included two 12-gauge shotguns, a rifle and a box of 550 .22-caliber bullets, according to court documents filed Tuesday.

The inventory of items seized from Sedlacek's Troy, Ill., home also lists the "Last Day Will" index card but does not detail what else was written on it. Sedlacek's day planner also singled out Sunday as "death day," prosecutor William Mudge has said.

Authorities have said Sedlacek, 27, fired four times from a .45-caliber Glock handgun, hitting the Rev. Fred Winters once with a bullet that ripped through the preacher's heart before he collapsed and bled to death Sunday at First Baptist Church in Maryville, Ill.

Authorities said Sedlacek also brought to the church enough ammunition to perhaps kill 30 people.

Sedlacek is charged with first-degree murder and aggravated battery, the latter charges related to his alleged wounding with a knife of two congregants who wrestled him to the ground and subdued him after the shooting.

Sedlacek remained in serious condition Tuesday in a St. Louis hospital with self-inflicted stab wounds to the throat. One of the injured congregants, Terry Bullard, was upgraded to fair condition.

Investigators say they still haven't pinpointed why Sedlacek allegedly strolled into the church during its early Sunday service, packing a pistol and 30 bullets — 10 in each of the three magazines he brought along.

A new affidavit by Illinois State Police detective James Walker said Sedlacek entered the sanctuary and walked down an aisle to the front of the church toward Winters, 45, who addressed him.

Walker wrote that Sedlacek then fired at Winters; investigators have said the first bullet clipped the top of the Bible the preacher held, sending pieces of it spraying like confetti and appearing to many of the roughly 150 onlookers to be part of a skit.

Winters then bolted toward the edge of the stage with Sedlacek running parallel to him, Walker wrote.

"Pastor Winters then jumped from the stage where he landed on the ground. Sedlacek then placed himself next to the pastor and fired multiple shots, striking Winters," Walker's affidavit read.

Investigators have said Sedlacek fired four rounds altogether before his gun jammed. After chasing and mortally wounding Winters, Walker wrote, Sedlacek tried to flee but was subdued by Bullard and Keith Melton.

"The way I feel in my heart is my pastor needed help and I had to help. I can't relate that back to anything. That's just how I feel about it," Melton said. "I've been in car accidents before where it seems like it's slow motion. But this was over so fast, it's harder to make sense of it."

It remains unclear whether Sedlacek even knew Winters, a married father of two who led First Baptist Church for nearly 22 years.

Authorities have not revealed the verbal exchange between the gunman and Winters, who was wearing a body microphone. Mudge, Madison County's state's attorney, has listened to the audio recording but won't publicly discuss it, his spokeswoman Stephanee Smith said Tuesday.

Smith also said Sedlacek has previously been issued a firearm owner's identification card, though Illinois State Police spokesman Scott Compton said Sedlacek did not have a valid one.

Sedlacek attended Southwestern Illinois College in Granite City from August of 2006 until May of 2008, pursuing an associate's degree in computer information systems, but never graduated, registration clerk Julie Boeschen said Tuesday.

Calls to the home he shared with his mother and stepfather went unanswered Tuesday, as have repeated visits to the house since the shooting.

Sedlacek's attorney, Ron Slemer, has told the Belleville News-Democrat that his client's family is "very sorry for the pastor's congregation." Slemer also has said Sedlacek has deteriorated both mentally and physically since contracting Lyme disease.

The attorney has not returned numerous messages left by The Associated Press at his home and office.

___

Associated Press writer Tammy Webber in Chicago and AP videographer George Wise in St. Louis contributed to this report.

___

Art
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Well, I guess if one had no 'arsenal' - it might look like an arsenal. Point of reference, I guess.

The whole darn thing sickens me; the 'act', the press, the finger-pointing. My heart goes out to the families so injured, and to the communities involved, also. For they, as well, are injured. Time may heal, but scars remain.
  3. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

+1
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

The cops are willing to call such a pitiful collection an "arsenal" ? When i read that the first thing that came to mind is that question that keeps getting bounced around every now and then... would the cops willingly go door to door to confiscate weapons if the lawmakers told them to....

I think the question is...YES? Hey, if they're so FEEBLE MINDED to actually believe that a collection like that is an arsenal then they are weak minded enough to do anything...

mike
    gn
  5. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

If that is an "arsenal"...they are going to freak if they ever find mine:rolleyes:
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

WOW - I hate to think what they would have to say about my small collection (50+) if his was an arsenal.

He shot with a .45 Glock but they found no .45 ammo in his "arsenal" so I guess he took all his .45 ammo to the church.
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I guess I have an arsenal, by definition.

My old Webster's defines 'arsenal' as: 1. A place for storing and manufacturing arms and ammunition. 2. A supply or stock.

Looks like the media nerds go by the very basic definition, and seal the deal by making it sound scary to the general public.
  8. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

seal the deal by making it sound scary to the general public.
    Go to the head of the class, young lady!
  9. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

Unless I missed it 5 times, I couldn't find where "cops" made the statement of an "arsenal." The news reporter did in their writings, but there were no quotes that the statement came from the cops. The prosecutor referred to it as, "inventory of items," and "Authorities said Sedlacek also brought to the church enough ammunition to perhaps kill 30 people."

The only one to refer to the "arsenal" was Associated Press Writer Jim Suhr (edit): because documents given to the court, by the DA's office, included merely a property list of recovered items.

We recently recovered over $15K of stolen construction equipment. There were two shotguns taken in the midst of the booty. Did the press photo all the solar panels, cutoff saws, etc... for their article? Nope. Two 870 shotguns were all that made the photo for the article.

This is your liberal media at work.
  10. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Yep they will crap their pants when they open the door to my 12 x 24 GUN BUILDING :D
  11. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Hmmm....I wonder if I have an arsenal:rolleyes:
  12. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I read this BS at lunch and just rolled my eyes. This is AP 'Activist Journalism' at it's worst... :rolleyes:

This AP wuss now has some oblivious soccer mom or 'metrosexual' male, scared to go outside without having his nails manicured, thinking a 6" cube box off ammo that costs $15.00 comprises an arsenal of ammunition...

What a damn moron! :rolleyes:
  13. 38 special

38 special New Member

Apparently He didn't even have the basic needed guns let alone an arsenal. What about a deer rifle and a varmint rifle? Heck He didnt even have the bare minimum although He had 1 more shotgun than necessary.lol
  14. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

Interesting. I'm glad they defined arsenal for me. I guess that makes the Chevy and Buick in my driveway a fleet.
  15. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Thank god he didn't have "hi-cap" mags, the horror was clearly marginalized by his 10-round capacity.
  16. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Pinecone is correct. Websters defines arsenal as (1) a place where weapons are manufactured and stored and (2) a collection of weapons.

Item number (2) would make any place that more than 1 weapon was stored an arsenal.

Problem here is public perception of the word is a large cache of military type weaponry. I have a small arsenal of my own which I am most proud to say is much larger that that idiots stash.
  17. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

It seems to be a fact that the mainstream media remains at a leftist slant , this , coupled with the "expected" accuracy drops expected by reports...the conservative or gun and 2nd crowds as ourselves , do not seem to ever have a fair enough representaion...

the only exception to this seems to be...in my kneck of the woods anyway and others...is when the report is of " poor old granny yields 1860 Colt Dragoon and scares robber off back porch.." ....for some reason , these stories seem to mend the bridges temporarily .....

we definitely need more positive "gun" info within media.

I guess Im gettin too old ...seems I can remember the time when the story " MAN ARMED TO THE TEETH ! "

was about 2nd page story where " mailman bites dog.."
  18. cosmo05

cosmo05 New Member

If that's an arsenal, then I'm the envy some 3rd world countries. The bad part is, misinformed people actually believe that anything more than one gun and one bullet is an arsenal.