Ciener .22 Conversion

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Bompa
    (7/2/02 9:04:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Ciener 22 conversion kit
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have asked this question on other forums and have not gotten any help,perhaps someone here can help..
    The problem is a older conversion kit that I am trying to get to work..This particular kit,10years old,doesn't have a full length disconnector rail..Just a boss around the disconnector
    slot..What happens is the hammer follows the slide every time.Making this a semi auto single shot..
    I realize that I should just throw the thing in the closet and
    use it for spare parts as I recently purchased a current model
    that works great..Find I can't do that,got to make it work..Any ideas from anybody ??
    By the way have tried the kit on several frames that have no problems with their centerfire top ends..
    Sent it back to Ciener years ago and was told that there was nothing wrong with it..Must be the frame......
    HELP.........

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/2/02 9:18:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ciener 22 conversion kit
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am sure one of these guys can help you Bompa.

Here is the website for Ciener

www.22lrconversions.com/index.htm
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Bompa
    (7/2/02 10:08:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ciener 22 conversion kit
    No help from them at all..They say send the frame...
    Hell what one do I send,half dozen to choose from,and is it worth the big bucks to ship to Florida..Be my luck to lose
    frame in transit and would not be able to replace in this state,
    Mass.,as there are no 1911's on the list..
    Ciener customer service seems to be lacking...

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (7/3/02 5:51:59 am)
    If I'm understanding this correctly you have a 1911 frame and are using the .22 conversion. I seem to remember this being addressed in another thread.
    I once had a problem with a Ciener conversion and the problem was corrected asap. I even got a hand written letter from Johnathan Auther Ciener himself.

Bompa
    (7/3/02 12:54:04 pm)
    Shooter I have sent the kit back to Ciener a few years ago
    and they said there was nothing wrong with it..They said then
    that I should send the frame so they could see what was what..I explained to them that I had tried more than one frame and it wouldn't work on any of them..No help...
    Called about two weeks ago and was told to send the frame
    again and explained that it was not just one frame but several
    had been tried and none worked correctly...No help...
    It seems to me that J A Ciener and Co. are not very user friendly,no 800 telephone number and no e-mail..No help...
    What did you do ask to speak to the man himself or what ??

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/3/02 5:31:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Bompa,

I'd call them on the phone and ask for a supervisor.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Bompa
    (7/3/02 7:15:40 pm)
    Tac401,,Good idea..Guess I will have to wait till monday morning as I assume they are closed for the long weekend holiday..
    Speaking of which, hope everybody has a great 4th of July..

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (7/3/02 8:23:50 pm)
    Bompa, I mailed a letter to the company explaining the problem and followed up a few days later with a phone call. My problem was corrected and I got a letter from Ciener himself.
    I agree with you about the frame not being the problem since you have tried different frames.
    I would talk the the person in charge since this has been going on so long.

Bompa
    (7/3/02 8:37:17 pm)
    Thanks Shooter I will try that..Will draft a letter over the weekend and then give them a call around the end of the week..

Bompa
    (7/25/02 8:28:39 pm)
    Well after about 10 years of off and on fiddling around with this conversion kit I think I have it licked...I think the problem was a too heavy main spring..A 19lb spring just wouldn't work.. When I sent it back to Cienier years ago I do believe
    that they said a full power mainspring was needed.. Just for the heck of it I went the other way..Cut about three coils off a already shortened spring and darned if it didn't work..Going to get a new 15lb spring and try that,will know where I am then.. Wonder if a spring that light would work with the 45 top end on..Seems to me one would get light strikes with hard ball..
    Ran about 250 rounds through it tonight ,hell I was never able to shoot that much in all the time I had the thing..Guess today wasn't such a bad day after all..

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/25/02 11:02:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    :) glad for ya.

i been shooting a ceiner in my Ar and love it.
  2. suryevor

suryevor Guest

get an entire mainspring housing group

light spring and all, and swap it out when you swap calibers. Or leave it in one frame and "dedicate" that frame to use with just the .22 unit, or just with light swc target ammo, at non-serious matchs.
  3. bompa

bompa New Member

Greetings all..
    Somewhere,can't remember where, I have brought this thing up to date..
    Since that earlier post I bought a new model,there were changes
    made in the unit..This thing turned out to be a tinkers nightmare..
    No more now it is like a good dream..Works great..
    What did I do ?? Adjusted the pressure on the disconnector to minimum.. Went to a 17lb main spring and polished the place where spring goes and dabbed a bit of grease on the spring when it was put together..Polished the face and top of hammer where the slide makes contact to ease it's working..
    Sounds simple now but it took about 12 years with a little help from my friends on this forum and a couple of others..
    By the way now I have two working units,the old one now works,after some more tinkering,on a 9mm..