Cigar Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Country101, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Well, fellas, I've been brought over to the smokier side of the room and now I need some advice. I'm looking for a mild cigar with a sweeter taste if possible. I want a real cigar though, not a swisher sweet. I'm not looking at spending a whole lot on them. Any ideas? I've had the Thompson green labels and liked them fairly well. Thanks guys.
  2. kfb2b

kfb2b New Member

Stay away from the Monica Lewinsky's. they taste funny
  3. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Swisher Sweets or Tampa Jewels. Sweeter than a bowl a sugar. In fact, be on guard against diabetic coma after a few puffs.
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Partagas Black Majuro (or whatever, the ones in the black tin tubes,) best $5.00 cigar I've had...If you don't like the dark ones, they make milder light ones but i think the black ones are tastier AND mild

...in fact I just had my last one this afternoon golfing with my wife, and since it's my Birthday, we are now going to Cincinatti to where I get my good cigars to refill the humidor I got for Father's Day! :D

You can't go wrong with any of the cheaper Partagas, H. Upman, or Punch if you want "reasonably" priced...but I'm like you, I enjoy a good $10 or $12 Cohiba once in a while but I'm NOT sure I wouldn't have enjoyed two Partagas for the price more...

And then there was the time I spent $17.99 for a CUBAN H. Upman in Canada...and tasted NO difference from the same sized HONDURAN H, Upman I paid $4.99 for at Jungle Jims!:p Maybe I was paying for the "Habana" on the tube????:rolleyes:

But MY suggestion is to go into a good cigar shop humidor, buy 2 or 3 "quality" cigars like Partagas, Cohibas, Macanudos, H. Upmans, Punch, etc, THEN look around for the "no name " "Hondurans" on the bottom shelf, usually something like "5/6$" or "5/$8" whatever....SOME of them are not so hot, but SOME of them are surprisingly GOOD....especially when you are drinking....:p

I find anything 50 ring or larger usually are milder than anything smaller, some guys disagree, but a decent Churchill or panatella sized one can be mild too...

But I usually only get 50 ring, and get different LENGTHS....sometimes you only have 20 minutes and one beer to enjoy one, sometimes you have an hour or more and enough good Scotch....:cool:
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  5. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Pssst, take a swing up over the border, we got Cubans, real ones, they're legal here. Just don't tell anyone I told you that. Shhhhh.
  6. tireman

tireman Member

iguanas best 7 dollars youll ever spend
  7. cec

cec New Member

Check out the Drew Estate line (Acid for example). They are usually mild to medium. Also the price is reasonable.

They tend to be flavored, but not through dipping. Rather the flavors are infused into the leaf.

I have not found one I do not like.

Shameless weblink -> http://www.drewestate.com/
  8. polishshooter

You know cec, I SAW them tonight at the place I buy mine...they had them in a seperate humidor and I had never seen them before and wondered about them....maybe I'll try some next trip.

I picked up two more of the Partagas Maximo Black (my favorites,) a dark Punch and another dark Partagas I haven't tried yet, THEN I found the "5/$6" Hondurans and got 5 of the dark large ones....and some glycol for the humidor...

The humidor was about empty, now it looks a LITTLE better....:p
  9. But Polish, you could always fill it up with Roi Tans or White Owls. :rolleyes:
  10. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

GENTLEMEN! Our friend, Country, has asked for "sweet" and "mild" cigar recommendations.

While the suggestions made here are certainly high quality smokes, they are not known for their sweetness. I challenge anyone to find a "sweeter" cigar than a Swisher Sweet!
  11. cec

cec New Member

That is a point. I also noticed this line:

Now I am not going to get into the debate about if a Swisher is a real cigar, I have not tried one so I cannot form an opinion. I just wanted to offer suggestions for cigars other than Swishers. Most of the suggestions also fit the mild requirement.

At least the question of how to properly light a cigar didn't come up, that can get ugly.
  12. polishshooter

The "Cigar Shoppe" or whatever it's called, the one where you watch the Honduran (hopefully LEGAL) immigrants roll them, in New orleans uses a neat little propane torch to light them for you, I wonder where i can get one....my Bernzomatic is a little big for that....:p

And Swishers count as cigars I guess, if you don't mind cardboard wrappers, but then they hold the maraschino cherry juice better that way....:cool:

But it's kinda like a good scotch or bourbon...you DON'T "waste" it by diluting it with POP (or SODA to you guys down east, or COKE to you South'reners) of any kind.....or like a GOOD steak don't NEED no stinkin' STEAK SAUCE...if it's dipped in ANYTHING to make it "sweet' then it ISN'T a "sweet Cigar....";)

But you know, I smoked a TON of Garcia y Vegas and A&Cs in my younger days, and for the PRICE they weren't too bad for 'Gas station' cigars...;)

MY only question is is it true the CUBANS are rolled the way some cigar people say they are...I'm kinda skeptical because other people deny that there ARE any "12 year old Virgins" left in Cuba....:cool:
  13. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Henry Clay cigars. Awesome stuff. Medium-full bodied cigar with smooth, tangy, spicy, fruity, nutty taste and a great after finish that is not harsh or bitter like The H. Upmans which are too rich and full bodied for me.
  14. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Hate cigars, but I like the boxes they come in. :D
  15. WarSteed

WarSteed New Member

Hehe a Partagas Black will sit you on your ass...

Here's my list of mild and smooth.

These below i've tried and found tasted milder

CAO Gold (CAO's mildest n smoothest line)
    CAO Crillio *one of my favs*
    Drew Estates Dirt (its the belicoso in their Natural line, but it is "flavor" infused, also it might be more of a medium strength) *one of my favs*
    Torano Reserva Selecta (Maduro or Natural) *one of my favs*
    Torano Casa Torano (their house blend)
    Any of the AVO line.
    Any of the Macanudo line (Hyde Park is their strongest but still mild, these guys are the Marlboro's of the cigar world)
    Cusano 18yr
    Indian Tabac Ltd Reserve (more nutty than sweet to me)
    Davidoff line, mild but too pricey in my opinion.

These below i've tried but don't necessarily fit all your criteria.
    My favorites are CAO Brazillia's and Torano Signatures. They are peppery cigars with great construction. Probably more of a mild/medium strength.

These Below i have not tried but have heard good things about.

Ashton's i've heard are mild. (i've tried one of the regular line and found it to be mild)
    Arturo Fuente Sun Grown i've been told was mild.