Circular pattern on breach face of 5 1/2" HS barrel

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Sep 1, 2011.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Can anyone give me an opinion as to the cause of the circular patterns that are showing in this picture of the breach face of a 5 1/2" High Standard barrel ?

Owner of this barrel tells me that the barrel has not been "lined".

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Active Member

Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me or we are looking at two different things, but it looks to me like machining marks ( when manufactured ) .
  3. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I have a HS 5 1/2" barrel of my own and it has no such marks.

Is this a case of the machinist that made this particular barrel not having his/her best day ?

Is it possible that these markings would have a negative effect on the functioning of the barrel ? Or is it just strictly cosmetic ?

Thanks.
  4. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The marks are from the facing operation in the lathe and generally these lines disappear in al leter grinding operation but if teh barrel was a little short it might not clean up.

The rings are simply cosmetic and not a functional issue.

I agree that the barrel has not been lined. You do not show enough views to know if this is a genuine High standard barrel or if it is a Numrich counterfeit.
  5. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

How does one tell if it is a HS made barrel ?

It is marked on the side (in part) as Hamden, Conn. I assume that that could be counterfeited also.

Thanks.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Take a bunch of pictures from all angles with your digital cam set to macro and post them here.
  7. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Numrich at one time had several original high Standard original roll mark dies. Thus some will look nearly correct.

In some instances, they married barrel styles, logo and company name dies and address dies incorrectly. Those are easy to tell correct from bogus. The others take some experience and a good eye.

The bogus barrels are not often seen. They do in general exhibit less quality that the originals.

The rest of the story in buying spare barrels is that all barrels may not fit your pistol. The factory compensated bur variations in tolerance stack by having four different take down push buttons. This is one reason the factory preferred to fit a barrel to your pistol rather than selling a loose barrel.