Citgo Renews Cheap Heating Oil Program

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by the morning light, Jan 20, 2010.

1. the morning light

the morning light New Member

It seems Chavez has been doing this for a few years now and was one of the first to donate to the Katrina victims also. I guess he is doing the same thing that we do to promote ourselves, donate to charitable functions and disasters.

Venezuela's Citgo Renews Cheap Heating Oil Program in United States

NEW YORK – Citgo, the U.S. subsidiary of state-owned Petroleos de Venezuela SA, renewed a program under which it has provided cheap heating oil to hundreds of thousands of U.S. low-income households since 2005.

Citgo CEO Alejandro Granado, whose company carries out the initiative in partnership with U.S. non-governmental organization Citizens Energy Corporation, told Efe Friday the goal this year is to benefit 200,000 families, the same number as last year.

This year’s program was kicked off with a symbolic ceremony at Riverside Church in Harlem, known for its key role in the civil rights movement of the 1960s.

Among those in attendance, in addition to Granado, were Venezuelan Ambassador to the United States Bernardo Alvarez and Citizens Energy’s founder and chairman, Joseph Kennedy.

Granado said 50,000 households and 39 shelters in New York City benefited from the initiative in 2009, adding that people’s need for heating-oil assistance is significantly higher in early 2010.

He noted that, according to reports in the New York City media, several million people will struggle to heat their homes this winter.

According to the executive, the program is being continued despite the global recession in 2009 because “it’s a commitment of the Venezuelan people and Citgo, grounded in principles of solidarity and cooperation. It’s more necessary now than ever.”

The program provides aid to needy families in the form of coupons that can used to purchase the heating oil.

Participants in the ceremony also expressed solidarity with the victims of this week’s catastrophic earthquake in Haiti, which officials there say claimed the lives of some 50,000 people and left 250,000 injured.

Granado said Citgo has begun a campaign to collect clothing and small transistor radios to send to the affected areas.

Oil-rich Venezuela launched the initiative in 2005 when the price of fuel rose in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and several U.S. senators called on oil companies to help low-income families adversely affected by the higher cost of heating oil.

Between 2005 and 2007, the number of families that benefited from the program in 23 states grew from 100,000 to 224,000, according to figures from the Venezuelan Embassy in Washington.

Citgo has also supported other social programs in the United States, such as the distribution of energy-efficient light bulbs to low-income homes in cities including Houston, Washington, Corpus Christi, Texas and Lake Charles, Louisiana.
  2. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

Why dosen't he just up production to lower the cost of oil, that would help not only the disadvantaged, but everyone. Oh wait, that's not tax deductable like charity is. What was I thinking!?
  3. the morning light

the morning light New Member

I think it's similar to some organization donating for a good cause, you know, picture in the paper, recipient shaking hands and accepting the check, it makes them look good in the public eye.
  4. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

i suspect you'd have to check very closely the "accounting" of this "boon"....

IOW, as others have noted, if you've got the money to make these dedicated refunds, why not just reduce the product price for all ? But.....but......then there would be no "tax deduction" !! And no "public service" promo !!.....And no "image gain"....... >MW
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Why does the gov allow this?
    Why not tell Hugo to shove it?
    We have oil. No?

Why is the media painting Hugo as a good guy?
    And the fed endorses it?:eek:
  6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Well, for one thing, Barack wants to be like Hugo.

I can just imagine Barry in the shower singing, "I wanna be, I wanna be, I wanna be like Hugo!"