Civil War Revolver Outfit

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Buford Allen, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

I am wanting to buy a Civil War Revolver Outfit with an 1851 Navy .44cal. There is one at a local gun shop for $180.00. Is this a fair price or is there somewhere that I might could get it cheaper.

Also, the kit says CVA but I cannot find it under CVA. Is the revolver made by Traditions for sell by CVA?

[​IMG]

:confused:
  2. merc

merc New Member

Buford
    $180 is a decent price for the whole shapang.
    Your lucky to find a decent used BP pistol for 200.
    Here is my 1851 Navy.

Attached Files:

3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

That is one nice looking pistol, Merc. Do you have more info on it? Please let us know. Thanks
  4. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

"Wow". Excellent pistol, Merc. The fluted cylinder really makes that pistol. What I'm looking for isn't nearly that fancy. That looks to me like a pistol to truly be proud of, thanks for sharing.

:) :) :) :) :)
  5. jgr1974

jgr1974 New Member

Buford,

I asume this is a new pistol? If so I would say the kit is well worth the price! If used be wary! It appears to be a brass frame! Some people like to overload brass frame revolvers, and they tend to shoot loose after being abused with heavy loads.
    If it is new and you follow manufactures loading instructiions it should last you a long time! I prefer steel frame pistols myself! They are well worth the $20-$30 extra, and are less apt to shoot loose!
  6. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

Yeah, it's new. I agree with you on the pistols with steel frames, but I'm a Southern boy and would prefer one of those old "Reb" revolvers that originally had frames made from melted down church bells. Don't get me wrong. I got nothing against "Yanks", I just want to stay with my heritage.;)
  7. merc

merc New Member

Buford
    I say go for it. There is something special in brass frame BP revolvers.
    As you pointed out the south has a historical connection with them oin the civil war.
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

If you're going for Historical Accuracy, which any historian or nistory buff shoud, it brass is the ONLY way.

More power to you and good luck!
  9. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

OK, I am planning on getting my 1851 Navy .44 this weekend, if all goes well. I need to know how likely and what degree of danger is there in a cap & ball revolver chain firing? What can I do to prevent this from happening. A co-worker told me that I can put bore butter over the balls after they are loaded in the cylinder to prevent any flash from getting to the powder underneath. This sounds OK but might be a little messy, especially if I holster the pistol at the range. Is there something else I can use that won't melt and run everywhere? I currently have 2 muzzleloaders and have had others in the past, but this will be my first revolver. I want to enjoy shooting it without worrying about how dangerous it might be.

Thanks, Buford Allen
  10. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

If you're interested in historical accuracy......the 1851 Navy was never made in 44 caliber. It was .36.
  11. woodsrunner

woodsrunner New Member

I mix beeswax and crisco 50/50 in a double boiler. After mixing I pour it into old shoe shine cans to cool. This is fairly stiff and doesn't run as bad as other lubes in hot weather. It does still run in the heat though. The disadvantage is the stiffness of the lube. You can spread bore butter or any of the equivelants with your fingers. My lube is going to require a tool such as a knife to apply it.

You can also get wonder wads to put under the ball and over the powder. Personally I prefer the lube over the ball as it helps keep the fouling soft.
  12. merc

merc New Member

In the old days they used any kind of animal fat they could get to cover the balls after loading.
    I have read that any kind of lard will work. I have used Crisco and find no problem.
    I have also read that a chain fire while likely is really not all that common if any common sense is applied and is really more scary than dangerous. Although I don't want to be the guinee pig.
    Cover the cylinders with any kind of grease to keep sparks from igniting the next door hole and you will be fine.
    Remember --this is fun--not something to get worried over if you keep safety in mind.
  13. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

Yeah, That's what I thought. A guy I work with has 2 .36cal. 1851's. The one I'm gonna get is a .44. I like the look of the larger cal. and the octagon barrel. I'm not a genuine history buff, I just know the Confederacy had the brass frame revolvers. :D
  14. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

YANKS RULE!!!:D ;) :D ;) :D ;)