Civilian/Semi-auto MP5

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by BigBang, Mar 15, 2005.

1. BigBang

BigBang New Member

Am also interested in a HK MP5 SMG. With the MP5's popularity, why is it so hard to find a semi-auto? Does an SMG need to have a minimum legal barrel length? Anyone know how you can get one of these? Thanx

b.b.
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

If I remember right, the civi MP5 model clone goes by "MP5-K" and that is your basic model. Although there are probably other civi varients on the market since the cool thing now is to have rail mounts, reflexive reticles, lasers, lights, ghetto-grips, and a can opener on the weapon.

I think the federal law is no rifle/smg barrels under 16.5 inches. Certain states and cities might have a higher standard...but most don't and you can verify by checking their administrative websites.

The civi MP5 that H&K makes for import to the US is a pretty close copy. The main differences are the longer barrel, semi only selector, and the bolt most likely has a section "milled" out so that if anyone tried to convert the selector mechanism to "select fire" the bolt won't have the surface area to trip the modified pieces on auto fire. Basically even if you made/found a select fire lower reciever, you have to come up with a matching bolt too, which is much more difficult. Also, now you can probably buy the gun new with the collapsable stock or install one without worry of being a felon.

The gun shop I go to down here in Texas has the H&K carbines hanging right up next to the Rugers and stuff, so that leads me to think that if you look around town you will find one where you are. If not, choose a gun dealer at any reputable store and ask them to order you one. The dealer fee is 5 or 10%, or maybe a flat fee like $25, on top of the manufacter sale price. Or if you want to get the best deal, pay below MSRP, look for wholesalers advertising in Shotgun News, make arrangments with a dealer to recieve the weapon (for his fee) and buy directly through their warehouse. (You probably know that guns must be shipped to dealers, never to your door; the only exception in most states being muzzle loaders.) And then there are gunshows. Odds are one will have your gun and possibly at a good price. If not, you can certainly meet dealers who can get you a deal later.
  3. BigBang

BigBang New Member

Thanks for the info Delta13
  4. delta13soultaker

Was looking in the 2004 Firearm Cat. and found that H&K listed as the Model 94 A2. The collapsing stock model is the 94 A3. Just in case MP5-K doesn't ring a bell, that is what their nomenclatures are. Hope that helps.
  5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

First and foremost, you cannot order any para-military HK. What was/is here is here and no more imports....these are known as "Pre-Ban"

If you wish a MP5 FA/selectfire, beaters start at 15K and go up from there.(many options in fire control)
    If you wish the 94 carbine semi-auto A2/A3, figure 2800 to start
    If you wish the MP5 Pistol, figure 3500 to start
    and this "always" depends on condition and better or new means more$$$$$

The HK`s of this line, what`s here is here and no more will ever appear.

Happy Shootin

LTS
  6. offeror

offeror New Member

The SOG catalog offers an H&K semi-auto version for about $1000 wholesale. It is not clear how long those will be available. The barrel appears to have a fake compensator/barrel shroud permanently attached.

It COULD be either one of those H&K semi-auto guns mentioned in the post above, or it could be a "parts gun" assembled by an American company. But the price is more within reach, for those who simply can't afford 3x-10x as much for an entry-level pre-ban HK.
  7. delta13soultaker

I didn't know that imports were still halted. I just got back in the states myself in Feb. I didn't know the Assault Weapon Ban had ended until I read it in an old Stars & Stripes newspaper before I came home and thought it was a good omen.

Which reminds me: The ban that ended, was that the "Brady Bill"? Or is that a different ban?

Anyway, domestic bullet launchers are still good. I think the Ruger carbines are just as effective as any Euro guns.
  8. BigBang

BigBang New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll just stick with an AR-15 style weapon.
    No way I'm wastin' all that money on a foriegn made knock off. HK seems to have their stuff together. If the had half a brain they would open a plant on U.S. ground and make a civi version of the MP5.
  9. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

OK...What's here for pre-86 MP5's is all there'll be. No more can be manufactured for civilian ownership. The semi-auto version of the MP5 is the SP89. It is no longer manufactured, so what's here is here. Registered full-auto sears can be used in a SP89 given the proper laws are followed. A SP89 will run in the $2500 - $4500 range depending on condition. A real MP5 will run $13000 on up depending on the condition of course and the configuration. They're both actually easy to locate. there are manufacturers of clones of the SP89 but are not endorsed by HK. Most do not meet the quality of the originals. These sell in the $1200 range.

The HK94 is basically a carbine version of the SP89.

Go to http://www.hkpro.com/contents.htm for a run down of ALL HK models.