The Firearms Forum banner

clay shooting?

8K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  bobski 
#1 ·
This is new territory for me.I bought some clays for me and the son to attempt to shoot.Now I need to know the best way to do this.Do I just throw them up in the air and pray or should I get that thing that throws them for ya.Somebody said you could get something to throw them with.I hope I dont get laughed at but I dont know nothing about this.

#28 · (Edited)
Prayers from KY. for you and your wife as well.
My wife got me a thrower for fathers day 2 years ago.
It was about 75.00 @ wally world and it seems to work very well. My son and one of my daughters and I have used it a lot. It will throw singles or doubles, has a cocking arm to make it easier to load, and it has a seat believe it or not ! The end behind the seat will fit a 2" receiver hitch on a truck as well. Don't remember the brand maybe ALLEN I will try to look it up.

#29 ·
Me and the boy went clay shooting yesterday and had a little competition.We were short on clays so we both had 5 to warm up and then we did the best out of 5.We tied we both shot 4/5.As soon as he shot the last clay he said (look dad theres a bird and then kaboom)the bird dropped at our feet.It was a blackbird and then he said I won.I just laughed and said ya you won.

#36 ·
the spring loaded throwers ain't much.. I like them way better than the hand throwers. cuz you can have realitively unskilled or non strong helpers 'pull' a string for you.. yet they may not be able to loft a clay well. my wife is an example. she can't throw a clay.. she can pull a trip string though.. :)

#37 ·
guy named john henry is on the new team. some lcdr p3 flyboy. he posts a lot on sgw. says its hard to keep a 5mt together due to orders deploying.
never hear from any of the old team guys. they fell off the face of the earth.

hey ryan, i thinks randy was just signing his letter at the end.
I see Grant once in a while and john Dobenschnitt is at the range Randy

#39 ·
Me and Brandon went clay shooting today.We take turns pulling the machine,he will shoot 6 and then he will pull 6 for me.Well today he got up on the wrong side of the bed and was really cranky all morning.When he gets like that I start messing with him and he usually snaps out of it.He said pull and I pulled it,he didnt think I was fast enough so he said pull again.After he shot he said (pull it the first time).I said ok so he got ready and said pull and I just sat there.He looked at me like youve got to be kidding me.And I said you only said pull.I said you just got through saying to pull it the first time.He paused for a minute and when he got my funny he started laughing and was fine the rest of the day.

#40 ·
Me and Brandon went clay shooting today.We take turns pulling the machine,he will shoot 6 and then he will pull 6 for me.Well today he got up on the wrong side of the bed and was really cranky all morning.When he gets like that I start messing with him and he usually snaps out of it.He said pull and I pulled it,he didnt think I was fast enough so he said pull again.After he shot he said (pull it the first time).I said ok so he got ready and said pull and I just sat there.He looked at me like youve got to be kidding me.And I said you only said pull.I said you just got through saying to pull it the first time.He paused for a minute and when he got my funny he started laughing and was fine the rest of the day.
That was funny Ryan:)I guess no else thought so

#41 · (Edited)
i did.
but i can tell you this...if he calls pull at my range and he doesnt like the perfect bird he gets and doesnt shoot... 50 cent penelty for another one my friend!:D

great thing about ranges....if one comes out broken, you dont have to pay for it.
but if you throw a broken one or toss one in the dirt at home...you paid for it!;)

#42 ·
i did.
but i can tell you this...if he calls pull at my range and he doesnt like the perfect bird he gets and doesnt shoot... 50 cent penelty for another one my friend!:D

great thing about ranges....if one comes out broken, you dont have to pay for it.
but if you throw a broken one or toss one in the dirt at home...you paid for it!;)
lol He will be fine,I just had to mess with him a little.

#44 ·
tell him he'll walk home if he shoots bad at my place....
thatll tighten him up!:D

btw, how is HE doing compared to you? is it sinking in?
To hear him tell it hes better than me.Na he does really good.He dont miss to many.Now I got to qualify that statement.Were pretty good at the backyard stuff time will tell if it translates to succes at your place.:)Did you get my email?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.