The Firearms Forum banner

clay shooting?

8K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  bobski 
#1 ·
This is new territory for me.I bought some clays for me and the son to attempt to shoot.Now I need to know the best way to do this.Do I just throw them up in the air and pray or should I get that thing that throws them for ya.Somebody said you could get something to throw them with.I hope I dont get laughed at but I dont know nothing about this.

#2 ·
I'd recommend a thrower. You can buy a cheap hand toss for less than $15. You CAN throw them by hand but your not gonna get much distance. Take turns using the thrower. If you guys really get into it you can get bigger toys to do the throwing for you:)

#3 ·
I'd recommend a thrower. You can buy a cheap hand toss for less than $15. You CAN throw them by hand but your not gonna get much distance. Take turns using the thrower. If you guys really get into it you can get bigger toys to do the throwing for you:)
I agree, a hand thrower is a good way to start. I started with a hand thrower. It won't be very challenging after a while, but it will give you an idea of what it's like. Then you can decide if you want to invest more. I like shooting sporting clays, the different stations throw clays similar to what you would find hunting in the field, running rabbits roll along the ground and will bounce as if hopping, pigeon and dove will be high fast flyers and so on. It's very challenging and a lot of fun.

#6 ·
geta woomera ( a thower ) you'll save a lot of musle pain and enjoy your day way more

practise a bit and teach others so you dont end up the only bunny throwing them

cool I know what im doing tommorrow.My wife says theres only one rule.I said what and she said whatever you all spend on guns and acc.Thats how much I get to spend.Sounds like a fair trade to me.I knew I shouldnt have took her to the gun shop.As soon as we got there she picked up a pink 380 ruger and said thats what I want.I said if you want it its yours and she said not right now maybe later.Oh well when shes ready.

#7 ·
cool I know what im doing tommorrow.My wife says theres only one rule.I said what and she said whatever you all spend on guns and acc.Thats how much I get to spend.Sounds like a fair trade to me.I knew I shouldnt have took her to the gun shop.As soon as we got there she picked up a pink 380 ruger and said thats what I want.I said if you want it its yours and she said not right now maybe later.Oh well when shes ready.
I hope she ends up buying a gun. I think every woman should do that. However, you had better be good and no be sassy with her cause it sounds like she likes to shoot.:D

#8 ·
I hope she ends up buying a gun. I think every woman should do that. However, you had better be good and no be sassy with her cause it sounds like she likes to shoot.:D
oh know never sass the wife im not stupid.lol Ive been talking to her to get go get on the top of the hearttransplant list so she can get a new ticker.I know shes scared but shes got 3months seniority on 1A wich is highest priority.They keep telling her to let them know and we will give it another go.It sucks being in the hospital but thats the only way she is going to get one.Some people get one in a week some take months,but cant get one if you dont try.Im just ready for her to get her life back.But in the end its her decision.Lets pray.

#10 ·
Prayers from this side
Thanks Jack just got done reading the remington shotgun manual,very informative.I love to read and learn and I am also deep into the book lights out.Very good so far and hard to put down.I have it on the computer and on my kindle so I can take it with me where ever I go.

#12 ·
Been praying, will continue to pray. Do they call you and tell you to come wait at the hospital when a potential heart comes available?

#13 ·
Been praying, will continue to pray. Do they call you and tell you to come wait at the hospital when a potential heart comes available?
I was going to answer this in a pm but I thought I would do it publicly because alot of people wonder how this works.If someone doesnt want to read this they dont have to but I dont mind explaining to those who would like to know. Pre 1985 if you had the money you could speed up the process.But one thing good the government did is stepped in and made it a level playing field.They started the U OSN (United organ sharing Network).It is a naional database of all organ transplants.The US is divided in geographical sections and assigned a number.You are listed local and 500miles radius.We are in Indiana,ohio,michigan.They have 4hrs to get the heart out of the donor into the receipeint.It is stored in elecrolytes fluid to keep it from beating.When you get accepted for transplant there are several level.It goes like this. 1A.top of the list the most critical.1B critical but your at home waiting. 2A,2B,and so on.You usually dont get a heart unless your level 1A,or 1B.They offer the heart to the closest 1A if there are no matches it goes 2 1B.If it dont match any of them it gets offered out up to 500 miles radius.If it dont match any of them then it comes back local and startes at level 2.You get the point.Now it doesnt physically move to all those places just in the computer. Since my wife has a heartmate 11 device she has 30 days she can be a 1A at home and after that she has to be admitted to the hospital and have a Swan Gantz cathetir placed in her neck that goes into the chambers of the heart and measures the pressures in each chamber.Then the docs have to justify why their patient is on the top of the list every 2 weeks.They do that using the swan chatheter and the numbers on the machine .I hope that wasnt to long of an answer.

#16 ·
Ryan, Thanks for the info. The answer was not too long.
We had a lot of family fun with shotguns and a hand-held clay pigeon thrower. We took turns throwing. Because it is being thrown by various people, the trajectory was unpredictable, so made shooting exciting.

#20 ·
for gods sake, make sure the shooter doesnt point the gun at you while you throw it. STAND BEHIND THE SHOOTER and make sure he points away from you.
you may laugh but many shooters want to see that bird come out of the thrower to get on it fast so tyhey turn towards the thrower. dont allow it!
Thanks for the advice,I got the thrower and hes right handed so I stood about 25 ft to the side of him and back about 5 ft and it all worked well.It took a few before he got the hang of it so we just traded back and forth and had a blast.We plan to buy more shells and do more of it this long weekend.

#22 ·
#24 ·
just read the details on your wife ryan. wow. i feel for you. so is it wise to consider a 500 mile trip if the wife is on standby for a heart? or is it a good idea to take some of the stress off you and the boy to get away from it for a time?
Thanks for asking.My first responsibilty is always the wife.She is currently on the heart transplant list but not a High enough level to get a call.Thats because she has the heartmate 2 device that keeps her healthy while shes waiting.She can travel as long as shes up to it.We just have to inform the doctors if were going more than 4 hrs away.We have to give them are itenerary and map out the route were taken so they can inform the hospitals along the route and the closest Heartmate 2 certified hospital closest to you in case she has a problem.Although if shes doing good I might have her stay with her parents and just me and the boy will come.Im glad you asked I need to do a hospital search.Whats the closest big city to you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.