Clays and chokes

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Jackman, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

What type choke is best for clays with an Remington 879 12 gauge?
  2. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Modified would be my first choice. However before you go out to get the clays test your chokes on a pattern target at range to be sure what you getting. Make sure you are using the same ammo..
  3. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Thanks :cool: good advice ,the 870 is new to me so not sure what the pattern looks like, going to the range today and will try a few shots at a large sheet of card board.
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use a full and an improved modified for trap. The IM for up to the 20. After that full. For skeet I use a skeet choke or cylinder.
  5. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

BINGO........................
  6. vaskeet

vaskeet New Member

For sporting clays my go to choke is Light Mod. It will break 90% of the targets on most ranges if I do my part correctly Randy
  7. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

Improved modified, does it all on the clays.
  8. Ruger_Fan

Ruger_Fan Former Guest

Some courses are set up with longer shots than others. I would prefer to shoot every course with #9 shot and an improved cylinder. The beauty of sporting clays is the ammo choke combo that works great at your course isn't so great at my favorite course. When I go to a new course I take a 100 rounds of #71/2 and 100 rounds of #9. I also bring all my chokes. If all the shots are 30 yards or more I need heavier shot to break the clays. If the majority of the clays are under 30 yards I can use #9 shot and a modified choke. Some courses are mixed up and I change everything at each station until I find something that works on that course.
  9. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Every range I go to the birds fly the same so the same choke and shot that works for you is all you need.
    gvw3 has it right.
    Mike
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  10. Ruger_Fan

Ruger_Fan Former Guest

The senior national sporting clay champion manages the course I shoot at a lot. I have borrowed his guns and shot with him many times. I have never seen him shoot a full choke at any clay. You mean he won a national title by doing it wrong? I guess some folks have the luck of the Irish.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Skeet for skeet and usually wobble although sometimes Mod. Trap is usually Mod for me, I never use full for anything, no turkeys here in western WA.

sporting clays is mod also for me but I don't shoot them very often and don't compete

1 oz of #8 takes care of just about everything; skeet, trap, 5-stand, duck towers, wobble, etc... although skeet I usually only use 7/8oz.