The Firearms Forum banner

Clays and chokes

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  aa1911 
#1 ·
What type choke is best for clays with an Remington 879 12 gauge?

#2 ·
Modified would be my first choice. However before you go out to get the clays test your chokes on a pattern target at range to be sure what you getting. Make sure you are using the same ammo..

#8 ·
Some courses are set up with longer shots than others. I would prefer to shoot every course with #9 shot and an improved cylinder. The beauty of sporting clays is the ammo choke combo that works great at your course isn't so great at my favorite course. When I go to a new course I take a 100 rounds of #71/2 and 100 rounds of #9. I also bring all my chokes. If all the shots are 30 yards or more I need heavier shot to break the clays. If the majority of the clays are under 30 yards I can use #9 shot and a modified choke. Some courses are mixed up and I change everything at each station until I find something that works on that course.

#10 ·
Every range I go to the birds fly the same so the same choke and shot that works for you is all you need.
gvw3 has it right.
Mike
The senior national sporting clay champion manages the course I shoot at a lot. I have borrowed his guns and shot with him many times. I have never seen him shoot a full choke at any clay. You mean he won a national title by doing it wrong? I guess some folks have the luck of the Irish.

#11 ·
Skeet for skeet and usually wobble although sometimes Mod. Trap is usually Mod for me, I never use full for anything, no turkeys here in western WA.

sporting clays is mod also for me but I don't shoot them very often and don't compete

1 oz of #8 takes care of just about everything; skeet, trap, 5-stand, duck towers, wobble, etc... although skeet I usually only use 7/8oz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.