clean burning powder?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JDH, May 9, 2012.

1. JDH

JDH New Member

I reload .45 with 4.5g Bullseye and seem to have a lot of unburned powder. Any suggestions or a cleaner burning powder I might try?
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Unburned powder and dirty burning powder are too different things. The former is self-explanatory; the latter leaves a lot of residue and carbon even though it may burn fully.

Bullseye is a "dirty" powder so some residue can be expected and gun cleaning a chore. But in general, unburned powder is the result of too heavy a load or too light a bullet (not enough resistance to burn the full charge), so that the unburned powder is blown out the barrel. You don't say what bullet you are using or what reloading manual. If you are loading without a manual, I strongly suggest you buy one.

Jim
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Step up the load to 5gr, make sure you have a decent crimp. Sounds as if you are having incomplete burn. Bullseye is'nt too bad usually unless you are shooting lead, then its a tad messy.