Clean round for AR-15

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Duckboats, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Duckboats

Duckboats New Member

Looking for a good clean powder to run in my AR. I have a 11" barrel, and want to use a clean burning powder. I am going to be going through some classes and I am going to reload 5k rounds. Max shooting distance is 100 yds. This will be a load for accuracy inside of 100yds and I'm not worried about energy transfer. Any suggestions?
    I have tons of once fireds and Rem 7 1/2s. Will most likely use Hornady 55gr FMJBT, now just looking for the right powder.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

My first choice would be Varget; there are several good powders for .223. You'll get a few more opinions before long.

Not sure that you'll get any decent accuracy even at 100' out of an 11" barrel. 100' is your max, so you may get half-way decent groups. I've never shot an AR with such a short barrel, so you'll have to keep us posted on your range results.
  3. Archie

Archie Member

I don't load for 5.56 or .223 (just to keep the quibblers at bay) however, I know about powders.

Cleanest powder in any loading is the one that burns closest to maximum allowed pressure. Usually, one of the faster powders in the available range.

Higher pressure, higher temperature; higher temperature, more complete burn.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I find that Varget is a good powder and I use it in just about all of my rifle cartridges. I also use Accurate 2230 in .223 cartridges. It was developed for the .223 and is another fast burning and pretty clean powder. You might give it a try.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Reloder 7 and reloder 10x are 2 of my favorites. I shoot from a 16 inch bbl and find powders as slow as IMR4895 to burn quite clean in it...
  6. Duckboats

Duckboats New Member

Thanks for the info.