1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

CLEANER(S):

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by GConn, Feb 4, 2011.

1. GConn

GConn Member

Fellow Firearms Friends, Fanatics, Followers, Folks, and aFicionados:

Not sure which sub-forum would be any better suited for this question, so here we go......

Birchwood Casey "Gun Scrubber" (spray can) - is this stuff a "good" general/all-purpose cleaner for ALL firearms, please?

Any/all opinions, etc. are welcome!

Thanks in advance,
    Glenn...
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Its good but really aggressive on some finishes, especially wood finishes. Good all around cleaner is Shooters Choice fouling cleaner, it wont hurt synthetics or wood finishes. You just need to oil afterwards, it will strip oils like crazy. CLP powder blast is good too but it too will strip some wood finishes.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Gun Scrubber melts many plastics. Grips, trigger guards, things of that nature. Takes the finish off wood stocks and pistol grips.
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use Hoppes #9, CLP, and lube with SBGO. Good stuff that SBGO. I use mostly bore snakes rather than brushes just because I like them and it is easier. Last time I used gunscrubber it took a month of using CLP to get my Sig P-220 looking good again. That stuff just dried out the finish something horrible.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I clean most of the firearm, including the stock, with remoil, and the bore with butchs bore shine. then when done Ill rub it all down, bore included, with SBGO...
  6. GConn

GConn Member

Well I reckon I have MUCH to learn gents - thank you much - catch you-all `round here next time ... (and oh, BTW, "JLA", ya got some sorta critter runnin' `round yer sig area!!)
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats my gnat. My wife tries to mash him everytime she walks by the computer. Then she remembers hes fake...
  8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's better, but not by much than that darn fly you used to have on there.
  9. davidd

davidd New Member

Try Simple Green Max, works great but will take ALL oils off so you will need to lube after. Its also non toxic!
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

My all-purpose cleaner is G96 Gun Treatment. It doesn't clean the crud quite as easily as the gunk removers, but it also does not remove all oil and leave the metal bare. It is in itself not a bad preservative and as far as I can tell, does no damage to wood, plastic or metal. It is a good penetrant, and I use it on rusted screws, etc., as well.

Jim
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

all purpose cleaner for me is hoppes #9 and remoil i also use remoil as a light lube but normally use 3in1 or similar for lube.

if i needed gun scrubber for something hard to reach, say for the action of a marlin 60, the best thing is to use brake cleaner. dunno if its exactly the same, but its about the same and works the same. i've also used carb cleaner, but its more expensive