Cleaning a powder measure?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gahunter12, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Member

What's the best way to clean out a powder measure on a RL550b when changing powder types? I always remove my tool head and dump my powder back in it's proper container. Then I cycle the charge bar to dump the powder out of the chrg bar. Even after all that some still remains in the hopper stuck to the walls.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You can go in with a bottle brush, and knock the stuck stuff loose. Once it's clean, wipe the inside with a dryer sheet. That cuts down on the static cling, which is what's holding them granules to the plastic. After a while it will get a coating a graphite, off the powder going through it, and that will help with the static, also.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What Alpo said. If there's more than 1 or 2 flecks left in there, I'll take it out to the shop and shoot it with some compressed air. Once I started using dryer sheets, I've had much better results with cleaning out my powder measures.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I agree with the compressed air and a rag, I avoid deep cleaning with solvents. Best to keep the black buildup there, it works like a dry lube.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  5. medalguy

medalguy Member

I use compressed air too. If you don't have a compressor, use a can of air designed to clean computer keyboards. Should work just as well.
  6. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Member

Sounds good. I have a air compressor. I have been using drier sheets. Do you use new or used drier sheets? I purchased a small box of new D sheets but it seems to leave a residue on anything I wipe down.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I save the used one in a tennis ball can and have plenty available to use. I also cut them up and add them to my tumbler media frequently.