The Firearms Forum banner

Cleaning after corrosive ammo

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Roanoker494 
#1 ·
I used to have an easy way to clean my Mosins after shooting corrosive ammo.I bought a transmission funnel (cheap plastic one), I ground the tip to fit tight in my chamber then heated it slightly to bend a crook in the last inch or two so It would seal in the chamber.Then I poured hot soapy water through the funnel then cleaned as normal. I lost the funnel and don't particularly want to drive 20 miles to Advance to get another today, but I want to shoot them today.Do any of ya'll have a way you clean yours thats fairly quick? Any suggestions are welcome,I want to shoot. THANKS Joe

Reactions: dbcooper
#5 ·
It's water that will neutralize the corrosive salts. Some people like to use ammonia mixed in water. I carry a water bottle with just plain water and run a couple of wet patches down the bore as soon as I'm done shooting. It's a good idea to do that when the bore is still warm, that helps to dry it out. Then run some dry patches to make it dry. Also, you should wipe the bolt face with a wet patch too. After, clean with solvent as you normally would. For awhile there was plenty of USGI bore cleaner around that was used during the corrosive primer ammo era. I haven't seen any lately though. It was excellent for cleaning the bore and neutralizing corrosive ammo. We were told to clean our bores for five days after shooting just to make sure, but that was a Marine Corps thing. I don't really think that's necessary.

#8 ·
I just do the soapy water, it is not always hot though. I have a gallon jug filled with soap and water that I take to the range with me. When I get there I just set it out in the Sun and shoot what ever is corrosive last. When finished shooting, I pour the water down the bore before I leave the range, then clean the corrosive one first and immediately when I get home.

The form fitting funnel is a great idea, I never thought of that. Would make it easier to get it all down in the bore instead of every where.

#11 ·
Ammonia attacks the metal and erodes it making the bore rough if left in the bore too long (read the directions on ammonia bore cleaners!). Soapy water is the first defense to use at the range. Then clean the bore when you get home with a regular bore cleaner that is water based. The water dilutes the salt in the barrel and flushes it out. The bore cleaner gets the residue out. This should be done the day you shoot. i would never consider using Windex with its unknown concentration of ammonia!

As an aside, Hoppe's No. 9 use to say on the bottle that it was for use with corrosive primers. I don't see that on the bottles anymore (??). I was given a GALLON of Military bore cleaner but I don't know the vintage of it and whether it is for corrosive primers or not so I have not used it yet. A search of the internet based on its Military part number reveal nothing about its usage (??).

I have only one gun that I shoot corrosive ammo in (Hakim 8mm) because it destroys brass in a single shooting. It was less expensive to shoot Mil Surplus ammo than reload brass only to loose the new brass in one firing. I find the Hakim a pain to use. I have a life time supply of Mil Surplus ammo for it but it is not all that fun to shoot. The Hakim operates like no other gun I have ever seen and I forget how to operate it between shootings. If you operate it wrong it could take a finger tip off in a flash. I recently considered passing it on but selling a gun in California is a pain.

LDBennett

#12 ·
I can just imagine the Civil War troops sitting around the campfire at night cleaning their muskets and passing the Windex Bottle.

When I had my Hawken, I would just take the stock off, remove the nipple and pour warm to hot water down it and work the rod with the mop attached

#14 ·
Stale urine was used quite often to help with old BP guns. (was also used in the manufacture of BP)

Typically hot, soapy, water will do just fine. If you use an ammonia based cleaner you should rinse it out again afterwards with warm/hot straight water.

Ammonia is a alkaline, opposite of an acid. It too is capable of corroding metals just like an acid. ...same reason why lime, not the fruit, will burn you like an acid will - just ask some masons.

Ammonia is good to neutralize an acids from the discharging, but it should be rinsed out as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.