Cleaning between shots. ML

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Jmg198, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Jmg198

Jmg198 New Member

I tried sighting in my new Huntsman .50cal ML today. I started off at the 25 yard range. I hit the paper, which suprised me. I then moved to 50yds and hit the paper again. The same location as on the 25yd range. About 6 inches below the bullseye. My question is below.

I have read in different places that it is a good idea to clean the gun after each shot. What is meant by this statement. Do they mean that I should just run a rag through the barrel? Do they mean I should run a rag with solvent through the barrel? Do they mean that I should do both of the above and make sure the nipple is clean? Or do they mean something different. I am using FFG Pyrodex.

Do I need to clean between each shot? How many shots can I take without cleaning?

Thanks for the Help!
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Don't just take my word for this, it's SECOND HAND info.
    I've heard "spitballing" helps extend the number of shots you can fire before fouling becomes a problem. This from a "traditional" shooter, he claimed that holding the next patch in your mouth and soaking it with saliva extended the number of shots a shooter can make without needing to clean the bore.

I'm all for better info though.
  3. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

Ive been using Thompson Center (T/C) 1000+ products for decades now.

Each patch cleans the shot before. No need to do anything but shoot until your arm is to sore to hold up your rifle.

If you are using ANY petrolium based oil products in your smoke pole, STOP

The stuff you use in your modern guns isnt good for your muzzleloader.

It reacts with the burnt powder and makes sludge.
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

During competitions (traditional) we will often fire 8 - 12 rounds between 'dry' cleaning. Wire brush; invert; slap the butt-stock; and then dry patch. (Of course, the b/p subs might need more attention.)
  5. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Shooting at paper I usually swab after every 5 shots.
  6. shootstr8er

shootstr8er New Member

cent fl.the mouse is 30 miles north.and tampa 60 m
    when i shot compation,(and belonged to a florida m/l club).. we cleaned after every shot.i was taught by {francis san sousie}im sure hes passed now.we used (moose milk),solution below..also used teflon coated paches..less fouling, easier to load,more consistant shots.............any out there that was a florida fronteersman give a shout.....moose milk---1 qt water--1 oz wso(water soluble oil machine oil can get at napa or any auto supply store)1 oz peroxide, 2 oz lestoil or pine cleaner..
  7. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

The T/C natural stuff is the way to go. When using the other stuff, you will find it gets harder to seat you ball with every shot. This is due to build-up from powder. I found tht using T/C's Bore butter will actually enable me to shoot up to 100 rnds with NO problems. It will "season" the bore, quite like a cast iron frying pan. Really great stuff, I just thoroughly clean at the end of the day.
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    welllllllllllll,so far nobody has steered you wrong but i will throw in my two cents worth i call myself a shooter.i have about one hundred rifles and pistols.they range from a 60.00 22 to a 900.00 22,tactical rifles with 36 power scopes and numerous other rifles and pistols.on my 50 cal knight inline or my 50 cal thompson hawkin i set scopes and sights on first shot with a clean and cold barrel.if you are a serious hunter and do not want excuses for missing this is the way you do it.to target practice its ok not to clean between shots but if you are going to hunt then the first one is the only one that counts.dont go to the range, shoot all day and think that now that its shooting where you want ,it will shoot that way with a cold and clean barrel.it will not.before hunting shoot one shot with clean cold barrel if its right you will hit your mark if not back to the drawing board. good shooting .........old semperfi
  9. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

YOu should at least run a dry patch down between every shot only to insure that there are no sparks left. My thorough cleaning is when I'm done with it usually after 10-20 rounds. And like old semperfi said if you want to hunt with it, make sure the gun at least shoots in the same spot cold and clean as you want it too. Fortunately my Rem. 700ML holds it's place fairly well and the dry patch run between shots is all I need.
  10. questor

questor New Member

Following every shot at the Range with my .50 cal Omega Z5; I run a presaturated cleaning patch, followed by a dry patch. Note: I use a .45 cal brush to wrap the patch. Shooting Triple Seven in my ML, if I used the .50 cal jag, the friggin thing would get stuck. Resulting in shooting some bore solvent to loosen the stuck patch.
  11. ccwhite

ccwhite New Member

I have a T/C Encore 50 cal. I tried to find the "Magic" formula for shooting all day with no swabbing. The best solution that I came up with to keep my accuracy is as follows. I fire a primer through an empty bore to make sure it is dry and it "prefouls" the barrel for better consistency. Then load 100 gr of Triple 7 topped with a 245 gr Powerbelt Aero tip bullet and fire when ready. Now I must decide if I need 100% accuracy for my next shot or if a quick follow up shot is the more pressing need. If quick follow up is required I just reload and fire sacrificing a very small degree of accuracy (which will compound with each subsequent shot without swabbing). If there is not a pressing need for speed I follow my normal procedure of running a presaturated patch (T/C bore cleaner or the one from traditions) followed by a dry patch (don't forget the dry patch) not trying to really clean the bore just one pass with each patch to keep it on the mark.

Now this is what works for me. It may not be what works for you. That is the beauty of muzzleloading. By the time you get your rifle where you are happy with it you will be very familiar with your rifle.

Squirrel said a great bit of advise when he said "If you are using any petroleum products in your smokpole ... STOP!!!" That is absolutely the truth any petroleum products you put in your bore will make the sticky tar-like sludge in the bore. I use T/C bore butter when I put the gun away for the season and nothing but the saturated patches and dry patches during the season.

Good luck and have fun getting to know your rifle.;)

Sorry for being long winded.:rolleyes: