1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Cleaning Blackpowder

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by johnlives4christ, Sep 28, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

my buddy's grandpa died years ago and he eventually ended up with his CVA muzzle loader. it takes percussion caps, is 50 caliber and has a plastic stock. so the long and short of it. my buddies uncle (the man that gave the gun to my buddy) didnt clean it last time it was shot. the breech plug is stuck in place and despite soaking it in wd40 it will not budge.

we were going to clean it up good and then shoot it and get it ready for deer season for him. it's got really nice, fine sights on it and i like it a lot and cant stand to see a good gun just waste.

the bore is rusted as is some of the other parts but it will clean up well i think with only minimal damage. i just cant get the breech plug out. if it was hex headed i could use an impact wrench and socket. but it's just got 2 flat sides to use a wrench. the barrel is octaganal and so far i've tried clamping the barrel in a wooden cabinet makers clamp and using a large cresent wrench on the plug. as much as i turn it will not budge.

any suggestions
  2. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Hi John
    the way to do it is with a litte heat - Hold the barrel in a bench vice (between wooden blocks) use a good tight fitting spanner on the plug - use a gas torch to get the barrel hot, this will let the barrel expand and should allow you to take out the plug

You will be amazed what a little heat will do

I am telling you the obvious but make damn sure it is not loaded first

Good luck

Enfield
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

well... thats a good idea, thanks. i have used heat before in this way, guess my mind just didnt go that route for some reason. heck i've even suggested it to others that didnt have any ideas.

~john
  4. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

Some of those old breach plugs are made not to come out.

Use hot water, soap and a wire bore brush.

Nix any petroium based oil products.

Get some T/C 1000+ bore butter, and use it for lube.